McGregor v Mayweather. Why it should happen now rather than later

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
1. Floyd is getting older

2. McGregor is coming off a win, if he takes another fight in the UFC and somehow loses, the Mayweather v McGregor fight loses it's appeal.

3. Too much money to be made.

4. Mayweather most probably wins, but McGregor's left hurts anyone at those lower weight classes, if he can land it, I think he will rock Floyd.

5. Even if Conor loses to Floyd, he can learn from the fight (and fill his boots with gold in the meantime), steel sharpens steel.

I had some other reasons, but can't remember them right now. Will post if they come back to me :p

Pbf has fought harder punchers than Conor. In addition, the skill gap between these two in boxing is fucking huge, Conor has Zero chance, not even a punchers chance.

Lol at McGregor landing a left hand clean on Mayweather. Guy gets hit like once a decade and thats against better boxers

Question is would McGregor be able to obtain a boxing license and get out of his UFC contract for a boxing match, given the restrictive terms of the UFC contract that limits Conor's ability to compete in any combat sport.

I agree with you though, like Skip Bayless said, Conor's boxing is good enough to hang with Mayweather's without being embarrassed. He only has a slight puncher's chance of winning, but 118-112 + a cool 40 million isn't bad at all.

Freak show fight. Floyd would eat him alive.

I'm a huge Conor fan. With that being said this should not happen. Conors boxing is very good, one of the best in mma. But even then, its nowhere near Mays. And even if he was doing ok, he tends to gass, and 12 rounds against mayweather would be horrible. Only plus is the money being made.

Question is would McGregor be able to obtain a boxing license and get out of his UFC contract for a boxing match, given the restrictive terms of the UFC contract that limits Conor's ability to compete in any combat sport.

I agree with you though, like Skip Bayless said, Conor's boxing is good enough to hang with Mayweather's without being embarrassed. He only has a slight puncher's chance of winning, but 118-112 + a cool 40 million isn't bad at all.

Pretty sure it's stated they can't compete in other combat sports unless they get approval. Dana might very possibly approve.

Conor with boxing gloves isn't going to have a puncher's chance of knocking out Floyd.

Pretty sure it's stated they can't compete in other combat sports unless they get approval. Dana might very possibly approve.

Dana and UFC vs. Conor + Mayweather contract negotiations would be the far better fight IMO. Conor vs. Mayweather isn't that interesting at all. If we're talking freakshow fights I'd much rather watch Mighty Mouse vs. Jon Jones.

If this fight can be made then it will be made. The problem is a bureaucratic hive of contracts, monetary, and litigation issues.

There's things I like about this fight. Conor won't respect him, he won't fight him scared. He'll get right in there and not be at a mental disadvantage from the get go. He'll harass him and be aggressive, and in all likelihood, he'll fight "dirty" and not give a fuck. For all of the reasons that Canelo had a bit of limited success in the early rounds in their first fight, Conor has a chance to as well, because he'll attempt to fight him the same way.

...but Canelo failed, and I think Conor will too, and I don't think it will be nearly as competitive.

Dana and UFC vs. Conor + Mayweather contract negotiations would be the far better fight IMO. Conor vs. Mayweather isn't that interesting at all. If we're talking freakshow fights I'd much rather watch Mighty Mouse vs. Jon Jones.

I'd rather watch Conor vs Mayweather.

Lets say Floyd absolutely schools connor - which has a high chance of happening - what does it say when one of the biggest draws and what some say the best striker in mma looks like a fool in a boxing ring - i think his mystique which connor may have partly recovered after the nate loss will be good and gone and the casuals buying the ppvs will shrink

Also imagine an ortiz situation happens after a couple rounds of floyd messing with connor and then koing conner because he didnt get the rules - mystic mac doesnt understand boxing rules and a whole host of other shit talk on the ufc

UFC fighter skills and caliber will be on the line and i dont think the new owners want to make their new investment look bad plus what ever connor/ufc will make in the short term could hurt them in the long term

My scenarios to make it fair because stright up boxing at 144lbs isnt...

1 - Have Floyd at 144lbs and let McGregor tank up to whatever weight he wants. He might stand a chance then.

2 - Same weight but round 1 boxing, round 2 kick boxing.

3 - First fight boxing, return fight MMA.

The main reason Conor should do it is money, as long as Conor doesn't get knocked out I don't really think losing this would hurt him, he can just say "I'm an mma fighter, I had the balls to step inside your ring, now its your turn to step inside mine". When Mayweather refuses he looks like a bitch and Conor a Don.

There's things I like about this fight. Conor won't respect him, he won't fight him scared. He'll get right in there and not be at a mental disadvantage from the get go. He'll harass him and be aggressive, and in all likelihood, he'll fight "dirty" and not give a fuck. For all of the reasons that Canelo had a bit of limited success in the early rounds in their first fight, Conor has a chance to as well, because he'll attempt to fight him the same way.

...but Canelo failed, and I think Conor will too, and I don't think it will be nearly as competitive.
Problem is that gassy chin of Conor's. He doesn't have a bad chin, but when he gets tagged, he starts to gas. If he were to fight Mayweather, my recommendation would be for him to take one entire year working on his cardio. Not even his boxing ability, but his gas tank.

Right now he would get owned by Mayweather cause Conor would get hit in the chin with those crisp shots from Mayweather, and gas out by the 5th round.

Back