Really good corner instructions for McGregor

taurus

Tiger knee belt
@red
Reaction score
Besides being a great fight, at the UFC 202 main event, i was mostly impressed at how brutally honest McGregor corner was. After Rd 3, the main guy (too lazy to look up who it was) waited a bit for McGregor to catch his breath and then calmly said sth to the extent of "He got the last two rounds". Took some time in order to let that sink in and then pointed out what Conor should do (clinchwork etc) but made no mistake of saying the usual BS "You da man", "Wooooh", "you rocked him" and whatnot.

Then soon after that, they switch to Diaz corner and you hear is "All heart, baby". I don't know if that's helping Nate, but i know for sure it wouldn't to me.

And Rd 4, Conor comes out swinging, completely different fighter than i Rd3. Composed, strong, back to the gameplan.

Just my two cents (wow it's been a long time since i started a thread in the heavies).

Anyone else noticed that? Any other examples of corner-men being brutally honest with their fighters?

EDIT: Seems i'm wrong and misheard the sentence (and placed it between wrong rounds). I'm not one to shy away from my mistakes. My posts are bad and i should feel bad. Mea culpa maxima.

Last edited:
Besides being a great fight, at the UFC 202 main event, i was mostly impressed at how brutally honest McGregor corner was. After Rd 3, the main guy (too lazy to look up who it was) waited a bit for McGregor to catch his breath and then calmly said sth to the extent of "He got the last two rounds". Took some time in order to let that sink in and then pointed out what Conor should do (clinchwork etc) but made no mistake of saying the usual BS "You da man", "Wooooh", "you rocked him" and whatnot.

Then soon after that, they switch to Diaz corner and you hear is "All heart, baby". I don't know if that's helping Nate, but i know for sure it wouldn't to me.

And Rd 4, Conor comes out swinging, completely different fighter than i Rd3. Composed, strong, back to the gameplan.

Just my two cents (wow it's been a long time since i started a thread in the heavies).

Anyone else noticed that? Any other examples of corner-men being brutally honest with their fighters?
Just wanted to support this thread. I love the honesty. Quality stuff if it's real.

I like how the McGregor camp came prepared.
I think they are a very loyal bunch, that's why they are so honest when appropriate.
I liked the gameplan and the corner instructions, and I couldn't be happier with how the fight went, very entertaining.

I also agree with you that corner "instructions" à la "All heart baby" don't do much on a technical level. They might however get the adrenaline flowing again, which is a good thing for a final round.

Other examples are the typical "it's one a piece, you win this round, you win the fight" speeches by Greg Jackson, I think.
Also telling GSP to hit his opponent with his injured groin was a good instruction.

giphy.gif

greg-jackson-wide.jpg

Umm, when did he say that?

Looking at McGregor's full corner audio now and can't find it. All I hear is after the 2nd round Kavanagh say "we're up 2 rounds." and then after the 4th round "we're 3 to 1."

EDIT: At the end of round 3 he says "These are those last few rounds on the road". Refering to his training. What are you on about?

Last edited:
Umm, when did he say that?

Looking at McGregor's full corner audio now and can't find it. All I hear is after the 2nd round Kavanagh say "we're up 2 rounds." and then after the 4th round "we're 3 to 1."

EDIT: At the end of round 3 he says "These are those last few rounds on the road". Refering to his training. What are you on about?

I've really thought he (Kavanagh) said it after the third, and i heard it as "he got the last two round". My bad. I guess there goes my point and the thread. And that's why i should never start threads without fact checking. I'll see myself out.

I've really thought he (Kavanagh) said it after the third, and i heard it as "he got the last two round". My bad. I guess there goes my point and the thread. And that's why i should never start threads without fact checking. I'll see myself out.

Lol. Does zero fact check, and insinuating that Conor's coach acknowledging that they lost rounds 2 and 3. Well played sir.

If its an honest mistake, its cool. But I am a skeptic. :)

Lol. Does zero fact check, and insinuating that Conor's coach acknowledging that they lost rounds 2 and 3. Well played sir.

You may be a sceptic but your Monday account can pay some fucking respect to the TS and give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

It makes no difference to me if you believe or not for this to be an honest mistake.

I wanted to acknowledge what i thought was good cornering, and not being "yes men" regardless of how it may affect a fighter. Though i personally think he won Rd2, i could see merit in the (what i thought was a) statement about losing last two rounds. That's IMO what good corner man do. Give their honest take on the situation or slightly lean towards the statement that would merit a better response from the fighter in the latter rounds. The reality is, one of the three judges saw Rd 2 differently and it speaks as to how close that round was. IMO, it's better to say to Conor that he is behind than ahead. His team probably knows how he would handle the situation, would it demotivate him or would it fuel him. I'm thinking the latter.

You may be a sceptic but your Monday account can pay some fucking respect to the TS and give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

Thx for that, but i can have an old account and still be an ass. Not the case here, but hey, it could happen. I don't presume all whitebelts are trolls/whatever, and i don't expect anyone to presume i'm always right just because i didn't piss of the mods for a long time in order to get a ban.

Again, thx for the kind words.

Back