great performance, but didn't Josh Thomson , Benson, RDA, and Rory do it much better?

it is what it is

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Great performance from Conor, but several fighters have beaten Nate far more convincingly/impressively. True that styles make fights, but Nate is a good, not great fighter, with some glaring weaknesses . Conor's main advantage at 145 is his size, and I'm thinking that he will face some more problems if he campaigns at 155.

Last edited:
Nick?

nickdiaz_fuckyoubitch.gif

Who is this Thompson you speak of? Is he the guy who got his ear busted by Kimbo?

Of course they did, but that won't stop McG fanboys from latching on to it. In their eyes a majority decision is just as good as making someone tap (unless they're talking about a different fighter and then it's not)

Conor McGregor... So hot right now... Conor.
so-hot.gif

They all did it better and never lost to him in the first place.

This is mma and styles make fights.

To come back and get a win over somebody that matches up bad with your style, is more impressive than somebody beating over that same person whose style matches up well.

I consider Holloway, Mendez, Aldo much bigger wins than Diaz. The ability to beat guys that stylistically clash with you is what makes somebody well rounded. He ran into difficulites, yes, and has some kinks to work out but he did a damn good job. I believe he will only get better.

Yeah I mentioned it in some other thread too. I mean Bendo beat him 50-43 on one of the scorecards when he fought Nate, it was a total blow-out.

A one could argue Conor beat the best version of Nate possibly ever. Nate looked really good against Johnson last december and beat Conor on a very short notice, now got a full camp and great momentum against Conor for the rematch.

All those fighters mixed takedowns with strikes while Connor just did it through pure stand up. Look at what happened to Cowboy when he did a pure stand up fight with Nate.

They're not featherweights.

Yeah I mentioned it in some other thread too. I mean Bendo beat him 50-43 on one of the scorecards when he fought Nate, it was a total blow-out.

Nate didn't even come to fight. He only turned up to posture and look cool.

To come back and get a win over somebody that matches up bad with your style, is more impressive than somebody beating over that same person whose style matches up well.

I consider Holloway, Mendez, Aldo much bigger wins than Diaz. The ability to beat guys that stylistically clash with you is what makes somebody well rounded. He ran into difficulites, yes, and has some kinks to work out but he did a damn good job. I believe he will only get better.
Don't get me wrong, he is a really good fighter, but he is far bigger than the fighters at 145...I think that fights at 155 will really let us know where he stands

Don't get me wrong, he is a really good fighter, but he is far bigger than the fighters at 145...I think that fights at 155 will really let us know where he stands

It's not just getting a win, it's HOW you get the win. And he did steamroll the FW division including Aldo- who himself is a giant FW. For any LW guy to do what he did would be damn impressive. I do agree though, I would like to see him stay at LW.

I think he would have very exciting fights there. Imagine a battle between him and Pettis, RDA, Barboza..

I don't get this style angle. It wasn't Nate's style of fighting that helped him beat Conor. He got lit up badly in the first fight. Nate ate more hard lefts than I could count. Nothing about his style negated or lessened Conor's offense at all. What won Nate the fight was attrition, durability. That's not a style that's just out-lasting.

In the second fight it was more of the same, only Conor added offense and regrouped after fading in RDs 2-3. He didn't face some nightmare stylistic matchup, he just fought a durable guy who could handle his shots and keep firing. Any guy with any style who can do that, can beat Conor.

How does styles make fights apply to this circumstance?

Back