Was Rory ever really as good as claimed?

Joeythewho

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Not saying he isnt a good fighter, but was he ever really a great one?

His Ufc record is 9-4, but two of those wins are against lightweights, one against a past his prime Bj Penn the other an undersized Nate Diaz (remember when everyone was saying Nate was too small for WW, before he fought Connor and became Bigfoot Silva somehow).

So then his record is 7-4. His win against Tyron the current champ obviously means he could be champ, but his two losses to Robbie who really wasn't that great of a fighter but capatalized off the GSP vaccum with will power alone.

So where does Rory rank to you guys? I know he can take even great fighters to decisions, but hes lost to almost all the really good fighters hes fought.

How do you think he'll do in Bellator? I think the current 170lb champ tooled Bendo and looks vicous with his standup. Rory does have the best coach in the world though, is that the difference? Mediocre fighter with excellent coaching/athleticism/serial killer

nkjVUpN.gif

Had The Chosen One mesmerized.

Don't forget that among those 4 losses, he had wars with Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit, which show me how good he actually is.

He toyed current WW champ ... so do us a favor and slap yourself TS

Rory is elite just like everyone else who is perennial top 5 in their weight class. Don't forget he was beating Lawler going in to the last round, but then again so was Condit.

I'd say no for 1 reason.

He is a limited fighter because of his safety first/ dont engage style implemented at tri-star and coach zhabi. If he had more aggression and punching power he could of finished Robbie off in there 2nd fight. he lost the 1st fight with robbie because he didn't do anything in the first round.

highly overrated.

typically, the Canadian fans make their own fighters appear better than what they actually are, happens for every Canadian fighter.

Last edited:
Don't forget that among those 4 losses, he had wars with Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit, which show me how good he actually is.
Put up a decent fight against Wonderboy as well, even if outmatched on the feet. I don't think many others would have been able to go the distance.

Not saying he isnt a good fighter, but was he ever really a great one?

His Ufc record is 9-4, but two of those wins are against lightweights, one against a past his prime Bj Penn the other an undersized Nate Diaz (remember when everyone was saying Nate was too small for WW, before he fought Connor and became Bigfoot Silva somehow).

So then his record is 7-4. His win against Tyron the current champ obviously means he could be champ, but his two losses to Robbie who really wasn't that great of a fighter but capatalized off the GSP vaccum with will power alone.

So where does Rory rank to you guys? I know he can take even great fighters to decisions, but hes lost to almost all the really good fighters hes fought.

How do you think he'll do in Bellator? I think the current 170lb champ tooled Bendo and looks vicous with his standup. Rory does have the best coach in the world though, is that the difference? Mediocre fighter with excellent coaching/athleticism/serial killer
don't go for his record only. watch his fights and you'll see he was very good. he beat woodley convincingly and was the last man to beat demian maia. his record is goddamn impressive. those losses are against beasts. dude is great and worth your time to watch him on bellator imo.

I say Don't look at a record so blatantly to decide how good a fighter is.

You can't take away a fighter's win against a smaller opponent. It's a two-way street. Being smaller can have advantages such as being quicker and having a larger gas tank. If he lost, would it count? Fuck yeah! So it definitely counts when he wins.

No he wasn't, overrated but good fighter. He's not as good as everyone claimed. If he was he wouldnt have gotten his shit pushed in.

He toyed current WW champ ... so do us a favor and slap yourself TS

And till lawler smashed his orbital in the 5th in their rematch he was up on the cards. The guy could've wall n stalled to a belt but came out guns blazing

He is a good fighter, very solid. UFC shouldn't let go of him. He is not the amazing unbeatable fighter some made him out to be when he first came, but he is very solid.

He's an excellent fighter and a loss to the UFC.

His most famous performances IMO he got finished in though.

Hopefully he will be back, some fun fights for him in Bellator and presumably better money.

Back