Are skilled fighters with boring personas on the Hollywood UFC’s chopping block?

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
I say all this as a Nate fan who was never a big fan of Rory's.

Rory is 9-4 in the UFC and put on a FOTY in 2015. Meanwhile Nate is 14-10 in the UFC.

Nate has more losses than Rory has wins in the UFC. Yet he just got paid 2 million for his last fight. I'm quite certain that nothing close to 2 million was discussed during the negotiations with Rory.

Many were concerned by the possibility of Vince McMahon buying the UFC. But is Ari Emanuel really all that different? Ari is balls deep in the entertainment business. You think he’s going to let sporting principles get in the way of lowest common denominator entertainment?

Yes this is not new development. And I know the Rory negotiations mostly predated the sale. But I get the feeling the Needle Mover Era is only going to intensify under WME.

I can see fighters like Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman (if he wasn't Matt Serra's boy) being allowed to go to Bellator.

"forget about advancing mma , ufc is here to entertain."
~kenflo

Many were concerned by the possibility of Vince McMahon buying the UFC. But is Ari Emanuel really all that different? Ari is balls deep in the entertainment business. You think he’s going to let sporting principles get in the way of lowest common denominator entertainment?

On the heels of Joe Silva "resigning."

I say we render a judgement now and go straight to outrage mode

I say all this as a Nate fan who was never a big fan of Rory's.

Rory is 9-4 in the UFC and put on a FOTY in 2015. Meanwhile Nate is 14-10 in the UFC.

Nate has more losses than Rory has wins in the UFC. Yet he just got paid 2 million for his last fight. I'm quite certain that nothing close to 2 million was discussed during the negotiations with Rory.

Yes this is not new development. And I know the Rory negotiations mostly predated the sale. But I get the feeling the Needle Mover Era is only going to intensify under WME.

I can see fighters like Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman (if he wasn't Matt Serra's boy) being allowed to go to Bellator.

I sure hope so. MMA is the sport for subpar athletes. I'm not following it to be amazed by the athleticism, or lack thereof of, of 6'4" guys with 85" wingspan who can't even dunk. I'm following to see folks KTFO each other in the midst of great drama.

I sure hope so. MMA is the sport for subpar athletes. I'm not following it to be amazed by the athleticism, or lack thereof of, of 6'4" guys with 85" wingspan who can't even dunk. I'm following to see folks KTFO each other in the midst of great drama.

Except the Needle Mover Era will probably lead to UFC themed reality shows on E!.

It seems silly in retrospect but many purists were against Vince McMahon mainstreaming pro-wrestling. He made it goofy and pop cultural as opposed to the previous underground "hardcore" image pro wrestling had.

I fear something similar may happen to the UFC.

Back