Could Demian Maia beat UFC HWs if you could magically give him Kovalev's boxing?

Hi-Tech

Slavic Fighter
Banned
Reaction score
I had this debate in some other thread with another Sherdog member and I'd like to hear what other members of this board think about this. I argued that elite level boxing would rule MMA if magically given to a MMA grappler, even if that would erase his existing knowledge of other elements of MMA striking and he would have to learn kicks, elbows etc. from scratch.

Kovalev is a 175lbs boxer, he's pretty much the same weight as Maia.

I remember legit HW grappler Frank Mir saying that Maia absolutely tooled him in grappling and could have raped him if he wanted.

Obviously in an MMA fight the HWs just keep the fight standing and beat the living crap out of him. But let's say you give Maia Kovalev's elite boxing skills and create some sort of an ultimate 170lbs MMA fighter.

There's no question that Kovalev would murder UFC HWs in a boxing fight, the consensus opinion of boxing community is that Kovalev could beat many legit boxing HWs despite the size difference. He has unbelievable power and a really technical aggressive style with which he controls the center of the ring and stalks his prey down with precise vicious power jabs and right hands. His offensive footwork is extremely underrated, he closes the distance instantly and leaves you with no place to run. He killed another boxer in Russia after he put him in coma due to accumulated damage.

Look at how the extremely durable iron chin warrior Pascal folded mentally after every single power JAB by Kovalev:

He's the most vicious boxer since Tyson and McClellan and has the "if he dies he dies" mentality

Would Maia's grappling + Kovalev's boxing combination be able to rule the UFC HW division with an iron fist or would the weight difference simply be too big too handle?

Do you think that it's possible that we'll see a BJJ/grappling wizard who has a natural boxing talent in the future who will be able to rule divisions above his weight?

Do you think that it's possible that we'll see a BJJ/grappling wizard who has a natural boxing talent in the future who will be able to rule divisions above his weight?

5.gif

Maybe you should add GGG strength

I had this debate in some other thread with another Sherdog member and I'd like to hear what other members of this board think about this. I argued that elite level boxing would rule MMA if magically given to a MMA grappler, even if that would erase his existing knowledge of other elements of MMA striking and he would have to learn kicks, elbows etc. from scratch.

Kovalev is a 175lbs boxer, he's pretty much the same weight as Maia.

I remember legit HW grappler Frank Mir saying that Maia absolutely tooled him in grappling and could have raped him if he wanted.

Obviously in an MMA fight the HWs just keep the fight standing and beat the living crap out of him. But let's say you give Maia Kovalev's elite boxing skills and create some sort of an ultimate 170lbs MMA fighter.

There's no question that Kovalev would murder UFC HWs in a boxing fight, the consensus opinion of boxing community is that Kovalev could beat many legit boxing HWs despite the size difference. He has unbelievable power and a really technical aggressive style with which he controls the center of the ring and stalks his prey down with precise vicious power jabs and right hands. His offensive footwork is extremely underrated, he closes the distance instantly and leaves you with no place to run. He killed another boxer in Russia after he put him in coma due to accumulated damage.

Look at how the extremely durable iron chin warrior Pascal folded mentally after every single power JAB by Kovalev:

He's the most vicious boxer since Tyson and McClellan and has the "if he dies he dies" mentality

Would Maia's grappling + Kovalev's boxing combination be able to rule the UFC HW division with an iron fist or would the weight difference simply be too big too handle?

You are such a shit poster oh my god.

Maia could beat several HWs, just with his grappling. Govong him the boxong ability of someone like Kovalev is just cruel, and unnecessary.

Maybe you should add GGG strength

GGG is more powerful pound for pound (though we can't even be certain about that) but not in reality. Kovalev is bigger. GGG is 160 something lbs, Kovalev is close to 190, just like Maia.

If they magically made him 240lbs on top of that I think he could be champion

If I could magically have Ron Jeremy's d*ck, could I f*ck Rihanna?

I argued that elite level boxing would rule MMA if magically given to a MMA grappler, even if that would erase his existing knowledge of other elements of MMA striking and he would have to learn kicks, elbows etc. from scratch.

I'd like to clarify that my position is "If Maia were given Kovalev's Pure Boxing -- without MMA striking training and just the Pure Boxing -- he would not be able to beat HWs and dominate the HW division."

My main thesis remanis: "Elite Boxing will not rule MMA as long as it's Pure Boxing and not adapted to MMA. Only when it's adapted to MMA will it be useful."

I'm guessing he could take a few out as it is. I'm sure he would not have any problems getting above 200 pounds, he's good enough on the ground that he can beat a few HW guys.

Back