What exactly was Guillard's issue?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just stumbled across some of his highlights and to this day, he is probably the hardest hitter LW has ever seen. I remember he was in talks to fight BJ Penn before having his like 6 fight winning streak shut down.

What exactly was his down fall, guys used to drop like fruit flies when fighting him

He had all the tools to be a champion except the most important one, brains.

Yep. Fight IQ, decision-making process, etc., whatever you want to call it... he lacked it.

Funny thing is.....if he had beaten Lauzon...he was set to fight Frankie for the LW belt.

Craziness.

Leaving greg jacksons, during that 6 fight run (clearly the best one of his career) he was looking great mentally, coming in with gameplans and confidence while executing everything in his arsenal.
Sadly he chose to leave and go to blackzillians before bouncing around several gyms. The rest is history. Guillards very old for his age at this point also.

Might as well add Greg jackson guillard to motivated penn, healthy shogun and chuck with the look in his eyes

The Rich Clementi fight is a perfect example.....just not mentally set for the fight, even though he should have won easily. In a sense....he was sort of a reflection of the Mike Tyson of the late 90's-Early 00's if you get what I mean....all the tools, but no focus or stability.

Lack of chin. He would Also get wild in there. He couldn't help himself

"Learn to grapple, Melvin." - Rich "No Love" Clementi, after his RNC win over Guillard, at UFC 79.

Rich and Melvin had beef going way back, as they both rose through the Louisiana fight scene, where Rich was also a promoter, and Rich did the DX "Suck It" gesture as he stood over Melvin, when the ref stopped the fight.

That RNC win over Guillard, by the way, was 3 months after Rich RNC'ed Anthony "Rumble" Johnson at UFC 76. Yep. Incredible.

The Rich Clementi fight is a perfect example.....just not mentally set for the fight, even though he should have won easily. In a sense....he was sort of a reflection of the Mike Tyson of the late 90's-Early 00's if you get what I mean....all the tools, but no focus or stability.
He was nothing like Tyson. Tyson was a street kid who had no self control and home training.melvin was just an irresponsible dumbass

B6tC-udCcAAamdL.jpg

It's depressing to see how badly he's doing against nobodies in Bellator now.

He was nothing like Tyson. Tyson was a street kid who had no self control and home training.melvin was just an irresponsible dumbass

Exactly what I said at the end of my post...."all the tools, but no focus or stability."

I don't know, but I think I've finally lost hope that he will figure it out. I don't know why, but I like the guy.

He was a great fighter but he lacked a strong mental will and tended to make terrible decisions in the cage (and outside).

Back