The Time To make Jones vs Gustafsson II Is Now

Cameron Gillon

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
A lot of talk about the comments Dana White made the other day about possibly matching up Anthony Johnson against a returning Jon Jones next rather than the initial idea of giving him a title shot against Daniel Cormier.

Making the Jones/Rumble fight next is the worst route to go down, Cormier wants to have a title defence before the year is out, if Jones fought Rumble, then who does Cormier fight? there is no clear current number one contender outside of Johnson, and if Cormier doesn't fight him, he will be waiting until spring as the earliest of next year to defend the title against the winner.

What to actually do..

I say make Cormier and Johnson go to war once again, Johnson has earned the right after wins over Manuwa, Bader and Glover.

In the meantime if Jones really is coming back sooner than we imagined, then the time to make that rematch with Alexander Gustafsson is now, even though Gus is coming off two losses, and probably wants some a win or two and is inactive, that rematch regardless will always be there.

Make Cormier/Johnson then make Jones/Gustafsson II and have the winners meet after in the middle of next year.

Thoughts?

Jones is going to be out two years. So, no Gus shouldn't wait.

No. Gus needs some wins. Starting with Jan.

I don't think they should and I think Gus would get destroyed but I'd be down

Gus needs 3 straight wins before ever being talked about for a title shot.

I like Gus but dude has fought too many "Killers" recently. Give him some easier fights to build him up again

exept you know, Gus already have a fight booked

Gonna be hard to make that fight after Jan Blachowicz destroys Gus within one round

I wanna see Gus vs Nikita.

Gus I'd 1-3 in last 4 and Nikita needs to fight stronger competition.

I´m Swedish and the biggest Gus fan – but come on, he should def prove himself to some lower level guys in the division first, since he lost his last two.

Eh, if there's going to be a rematch, now would be the time, for Gus's sake. If he's going to have a chance in hell to beat JBJ, it would be after a layoff like this. Even if he would somehow beat Jones, I think he would still need a few more wins before a title shot against DC/Rumble, however.

A lot of talk about the comments Dana White made the other day about possibly matching up Anthony Johnson against a returning Jon Jones next rather than the initial idea of giving him a title shot against Daniel Cormier.

Making the Jones/Rumble fight next is the worst route to go down, Cormier wants to have a title defence before the year is out, if Jones fought Rumble, then who does Cormier fight? there is no clear current number one contender outside of Johnson, and if Cormier doesn't fight him, he will be waiting until spring as the earliest of next year to defend the title against the winner.

What to actually do..

I say make Cormier and Johnson go to war once again, Johnson has earned the right after wins over Manuwa, Bader and Glover.

In the meantime if Jones really is coming back sooner than we imagined, then the time to make that rematch with Alexander Gustafsson is now, even though Gus is coming off two losses, and probably wants some a win or two and is inactive, that rematch regardless will always be there.

Make Cormier/Johnson then make Jones/Gustafsson II and have the winners meet after in the middle of next year.

Thoughts?
GTFO Gus is 1-3 in his last 4

Now is like, the least sensible time to make Gus v Jones.

Jones vs Gus 2 if Gus beats Jan
Rumble vs DC 2 for the title

I'm cool with this. But they can't be on the same card because jones vs gus has to be 5 rounds.

Rumble vs Cormier next,
Jones can sit out (probably suspended anyway) and wait until Gus is ready for him. After being found to be cheating Jones should lose his position as a contender

Back