Demian Maia has the most underrated wrestling in the UFC

2000AndChael

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
He continually takes wrestlers down at will, look at his last fight with Matt Brown, Matt couldn't stop him, Same with Neil Magny. Watch this fight with a former National championship runner up in Rick Story where Mia takes him down and subs him in like 2 mins... He's so good but people only talk about his Jiu Jitsu.

It's JANSPORT Maia, btw

I think his wrestling gets overlooked because his BJJ is top notch. Plus he's not listed as a "wrestler" so they'll say his TDs are jiu-jitsu based. If he beats Condit then he should get the winner of Woodley vs Thompson.

To be fair, Story came out sloppy, with a high center of gravity. He pretty much gave that TD away.

Those exhausted 3rd round takedowns though....if Maia can't get a sub in the first two, he is in for a really rough 3-5 against Condit. Plus, Condit will make him work on the ground. I don't think at his age and wear he can perform in these 25 minute contests anymore. Yet, I'm just a normal ass Joe who is just speculating off of little expert information lol.

By 3rd round

YVG9KgI.gif

He trains and has been training with the Brazilian Olympic wrestling team. After a while of doing that he had no choice but to get better.

He continually takes wrestlers down at will, look at his last fight with Matt Brown, Matt couldn't stop him, Same with Neil Magny. Watch this fight with a former National championship runner up in Rick Story where Mia takes him down and subs him in like 2 mins... He's so good but people only talk about his Jiu Jitsu.

I agree. Maia does a great job taking people down. Makes it look easy.

If his striking could be improved as much as his wrestling & BJJ, he'd be the most complete fighter in the UFC

He trains and has been training with the Brazilian Olympic wrestling team. After a while of doing that he had no choice but to get better.

Agree. I believe the same thing happened to GSP when he was training with the Canadian Olympic wrestlers.

Who underrates him? I read nothing but praise. All the more impressive how Rory defeated him.

Just a reminder of what he did to poor Chael:
2nbrjmf_medium.gif

He's
Who underrates him? I read nothing but praise. All the more impressive how Rory defeated him.
praised but its all about his JJ never his wrestling when in fact he's proven he's just as good and better than all american wrestlers who are talked about as the best

I think his wrestling gets overlooked because his BJJ is top notch. Plus he's not listed as a "wrestler" so they'll say his TDs are jiu-jitsu based. If he beats Condit then he should get the winner of Woodley vs Thompson.

woodley vs thompson is happening ?

Which national championship was Rick Story the runner up in? Not an NCAA championship i'm pretty sure.

woodley vs thompson is happening ?
It should. Hopefully. I like Woodley but his new attitude pisses me off. We all know Wonderboy deserves the title shot. Give it to him. Instead he wants to call out fighters who haven't fought in years.

Back