Maia vs Condit : Grappler vs Striker

wtkace**

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'll go for Maia, as he has no problem to repeat the same routine as what he did to Brown back then.

Tough fight for both guys to be honest...for me the fight outcome will be answered in the first exchange and particularly how Maia sets up his take-downs either by trips or by catching Condits kick if he throws any..

If Carlos is quick enough and doesn't throw kicks or get backed up to the point Maia can trip him off the cage I think he'll win - if not it will be a 30-27 with Condit still having a good chance to TKO Maia in the later rounds..

EDIT: I forgot this is 5 rounds now - I favor Condit much more now.

5 round will be tough, Maia's cardio isn't the best.

Still going with Maia, but Condit got a real good shot at winning.

Maia has the inside track on this fight, but if he tires, Condit is going to light him up.

Condit by triangle choke.

You heard it here first.

Condit = shitty TDD
Maia = Shitty striking defense.

Very intriguing fight.

5 round will be tough, Maia's cardio isn't the best.

Still going with Maia, but Condit got a real good shot at winning.
maia needs epo for cardio. then we can start sayin maia 50-45

Could go either way.

If Condit can keep Maia from the early round TDs he should beat the tar out of Maia rounds 3+.

If Maia is able to get Condit to the mat early, he'll dominate and either sub or grind 3 rounds for the win.

I'd favor Maia more if this was 3 rounds. He most likely takes Condit down over and over but he has slowed down late in the fight, like against Rory and Shields. Condit will be dangerous in the 4th and 5th so I can see CC getting the finish then or Maia guts it out. I do think there's a good chance Maia gets the sub in the first 3 or gets a 10-8, and that 10-8 could decide it. Going with Maia.

Last edited:
If Maia comes to grapple, he'll win. Maybe a decision/late sub (Condit is also slick on the ground)

Boring vs exciting
Staller vs fighter

If anyone was ever interested enough to watch a Maia fight twice there would be more gifs of his pathetic falling down and refusing to get up in multiple fights.

Baahh, give him title shot. Baahhhh, DM's fights are super exciting. Baahhhh, we want a champ that can't throw a punch. Stupid sheep, keep staring up the ass of the one you're blindly following.

I'd favor Maia more if this was 3 rounds. He most likely takes Condit down over and over but he has slowed down late in the fight, like against Rory and Shields. Condit will be dangerous in the 4th and 5th so I can see CC getting the finish then or Maia's guts it out. I do think there's a good chance Maia gets the sub in the first 3 or gets a 10-8, and that 10-8 could decide it. Going with Maia.
Some good points. I was thinking mostly the same, but I didn't take possible 10-8's into account.

I'm with the homie Brandon Gibson on this fight
Condit by decision - I think he'll try to run circles around Maia until he tires
Maia is going to be reliant on Condit coming forward, I don't think Condit oblidges him. The gameplan has to be to circle, catch Maia with counter rights and pivot in ways that Maia will find his back against the cage, where Condit should be a little more comfortable unleashing.
I like Condit by close decision here - provided he survives being tapped or schooled early

I'll go for Maia, as he has no problem to repeat the same routine as what he did to Brown back then.

Condit is a far more competent bjj artist than Brown, but he's also more aggressive on the ground, which could work for or against him in this fight.

Condit needs to stick to a very disciplined gameplan to win. We know he can, but man, this is a rough matchup. Condit's been taken down by worse wrestlers than Maia, and Maia's striking is good enough that unless he absolutely can't get in on Condit he's unlikely to get lit up early. The biggest issue Condit has to work on for this fight is his tendency to throw himself off balance with his combinations. If he gives Maia chances to drag him to the mat he's in for a long night.

Condit is a far more competent bjj artist than Brown, but he's also more aggressive on the ground, which could work for or against him in this fight.

Which raises eye to why he couldn't sub Brown with 12 minutes on his back with the body lock & Matt yawning and the ref not standing them up only because it was in Brazil and he didn't want to get shot for ruining the local guys only chance of a win.

Condit didnt even sound like he believes he can win on the MMAhour. Sounded like he just hopes to KO Maia before the first double leg comes every round

Which raises eye to why he couldn't sub Brown with 12 minutes on his back with the body lock & Matt yawning and the ref not standing them up only because it was in Brazil and he didn't want to get shot for ruining the local guys only chance of a win.

Subbing elite Mma guys who know exactly what you want to do and have had a trading camp in preparation to defend it is difficult. Condit won't be as defensive oriented as brown. Scary fight for both men.

Condit didnt even sound like he believes he can win on the MMAhour. Sounded like he just hopes to KO Maia before the first double leg comes every round

I like Condit, but there's a trend of fighters losing once they start talking about retirement or other ways of making a living.

Back