Conor one trick pony

abrasion

Ancient one
@purple
Reaction score
Everyone knows that conors left hand is very dangerous. Other than that there really isnt to much to overly fear from him. That being said, how long do you think it will be before he is figured out, and what would your gameplan be to take the left away from him? Say alvarez was set to fight conor, how would you have him approach the fight?

i would try to get it to the ground, and if i couldn't, i would wall and stall as much as possible while the crowd boos me hard.

it's not as simple as saying all he has is a left hand because conor can throw it effectively moving forward, backward, laterally, countering, straight down the pipe, etc.

What do you call leg kicks?
Did you see the 2nd fight???

Ah, I see another Conor hater going through the stages of grief. First Denial and Anger. Now we're onto the Bargaining stage.

His left is his best weapon, but not his only weapon. I wouldn't call him a one trick pony. That said, I wouldn't call him well rounded either.

Everyone knows that conors left hand is very dangerous. Other than that there really isnt to much to overly fear from him. That being said, how long do you think it will be before he is figured out, and what would your gameplan be to take the left away from him? Say alvarez was set to fight conor, how would you have him approach the fight?
In regards to striking few can match. Nate went for more takedowns against Conor then his entire career and Nate typically only loses to people who can't hang in the stand up. Wrestling is clearly the way to figure him out

Understood. But its certainly not something you would fear from him.
Well you should. Ask Nate why he had no front leg to stand on!
Not having one of two legs to push off with would scare the hell out of me in a fight that was not going to the ground..

qh14c.gif

Two now. Didnt you see leg kicks. Who knows maybe will have 3 by next year. He's full of surprises.

Tired of people saying "you only need to watch for his left hand and you will beat him!" Uhh no, he has amazing counter striking ability and head movement. He sets up his left very well with his jab and lead upper cuts. If all you had to do was watch out for his left it would be that easy but it's how you set it up. He has a karate stance and distance with boxing hands which is very unorthodox and hard to deal with, not to mention his kicks although they are not the fastest they work. Nobody really mentions his speed but he also has the fastest hands in the featherweight/ lightweight divisions and quickest reaction time with his head movement and counter striking, just watch how many times he counters Diaz's jabs by slipping and throwing a left or an uppercut. He also has great defensive ability, he was rolling Diaz's punches off his shoulder like a pro boxer, no other MMA fighter does that other than silva.I still think the key to beat him is wrestling and gassing him out but to call him a one trick pony is false.

Mendes had it right before he got KO'ed, you slam him to the ground then you start elbowing and hammering his face into oblivion.

Conor knows how to box and kick really well. And he's still learning and growing with every fight. So we don't know how he will adapt to someone like Eddie or any elite wrestler, for all we know he has monstrous wrestling potential.

Last edited:
i would try to get it to the ground, and if i couldn't, i would wall and stall as much as possible while the crowd boos me hard.

it's not as simple as saying all he has is a left hand because conor can throw it effectively moving forward, backward, laterally, countering, straight down the pipe, etc.
Alvarez has shown he can execute the strategy you describe above and that he doesn't care about the boos either (not accusing him of being a lay and prayer here, he's usually exciting but showed a very calculated approach against Pettis) so I could see that happening.

You're right about Conor's left too, TS is underselling him.

Alvarez likes winning more than winning with style. He'd spam takedown attempts until he got one and that'd probably be a wrap.
Eddie is probably the least skilled champ in ufc history. He is not mixed martial artist he is a meathead wrestler that holds ppl on fence to win a stall. He got his title shot off two wins that were extremely unimpressive, and gil beat him. Yet he says nate and connie have stuff to work on. Both nate and connie would sleep him. Probably the rest of the top ten also

Eddie is probably the least skilled champ in ufc history. He is not mixed martial artist he is a meathead wrestler that holds ppl on fence to win a stall. He got his title shot off two wins that were extremely unimpressive, and gil beat him. Yet he says nate and connie have stuff to work on. Both nate and connie would sleep him. Probably the rest of the top ten also

I'm not the world's biggest Alvarez fan, but he knows how to work an effective gameplan. Alvarez has good enough grappling to nullify great strikers like Pettis and presumably McGregor. If McGregor could keep distance, lure him into some exchanges, and show some decent TDD, he would have a great shot at KOing Eddie.

Back