MMA relies on fighters like Conor McGregor

P4p Islam

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It's as simple as the thread title. In the dark ages of MMA the major players mostly came out of the Miletich camp. You had Matt Hughes, Jens Pulver, Tim Sylvia, and Pat Miletich. These guys were the mount rushmore of MMA back then.
matt_bio.jpg

MMA needed them, as they were the biggest draw on any card. Fast forward 10 years and you had guys like Fedor, Nog, and Frank Mir. These guys were the pinnacle of MMA interest. Haters wanted to see them lose, fans wanted to see them continue their reigns as being the top p4p fighters in the world.

pf-mir.jpg

Enter today, and view Conor McGregor. He is the biggest MMA star in the world, and arguable the most popular fighter in MMA history. There has never been a superstar that shone brighter than conor. He is the most dominant FW of all time, and won the title off a spectacular 13 second destruction of Jose Aldo.

After sending Nate Diaz to the shadow realm on saturday, he has reiterated what my thread title states.

The popularity of MMA now relies on Conor McGregor. The whole world wants to see what he does next. The ball is in your court Conor. We are all ready to see your next move.

Conor-McGregor1.jpg

They'll always be new up and comers, the UFC could manage without ConorMac

The popularity of any combat sport always has, and always will, rely on it's superstars.

It doesn't rely as there are other stars. UFC 200 proved that. But he certainly is the biggest star today.

It wouldn't be far-fetched to say that Conor McGregor may arguably be the most popular person in history. I could only think of maybe Michael Jackson who may be more popular.

Enter today, and view Conor McGregor. He is the biggest MMA star in the world, and arguable the most popular fighter in MMA history.

Conor-McGregor1.jpg

Meh, don't really care what he does next. I'm a little curious to see whether the UFC strips his title if doesn't defend next, but the question of where he is and who he can beat was already answered by the Nate fights and we know he's strong at FW but not near the top at LW.

you're right they need more fighter who don't defend their titles

Did you really just call him the most dominant FW of all-time? He beat a child version of Holloway and lost most of the fight against Mendes. His big accomplishment is landing 1 out of 1 strikes against Aldo.

It's as simple as the thread title. In the dark ages of MMA the major players mostly came out of the Miletich camp. You had Matt Hughes, Jens Pulver, Tim Sylvia, and Pat Miletich. These guys were the mount rushmore of MMA back then.
matt_bio.jpg

MMA needed them, as they were the biggest draw on any card. Fast forward 10 years and you had guys like Fedor, Nog, and Frank Mir. These guys were the pinnacle of MMA interest. Haters wanted to see them lose, fans wanted to see them continue their reigns as being the top p4p fighters in the world.

pf-mir.jpg

Enter today, and view Conor McGregor. He is the biggest MMA star in the world, and arguable the most popular fighter in MMA history. There has never been a superstar that shone brighter than conor. He is the most dominant FW of all time, and won the title off a spectacular 13 second destruction of Jose Aldo.

After sending Nate Diaz to the shadow realm on saturday, he has reiterated what my thread title states.

The popularity of MMA now relies on Conor McGregor. The whole world wants to see what he does next. The ball is in your court Conor. We are all ready to see your next move.

Conor-McGregor1.jpg

Great thing Conor is the biggest fighter they ever had, bad thing is that as of now there isn't anyone else who could possible get big for me.

Meh, don't really care what he does next. I'm a little curious to see whether the UFC strips his title if doesn't defend next, but the question of where he is and who he can beat was already answered by the Nate fights and we know he's strong at FW but not near the top at LW.
I don't think you have nearly enough evidence to believe he's "not near the top at LW".

I assume you're basing that belief on how competitive Conor has been with Nate Diaz in these 2 fights, as well as getting finished in the first fight. But you're forgetting an important and obvious piece of information: styles make fights.

You're saying Conor isn't a top LW because Nate isn't a top LW. Well, if Nate isn't a top LW, then neither is Cowboy or Michael Johnson. If Cowboy isn't a top Lightweight, neither is Eddie Alvarez or Edson Barboza. If Alvarez and Barboza and Johnson aren't top Lightweights, then neither are RDA and Tony Ferguson and Anthony Pettis. I could go on. It's a popular belief among MMA fans that MMA Math is stupid. The idea that "styles make fights" is what makes it stupid.

All of the fighters above are top lightweights. They just have different styles. And certain styles do well against certain styles, but badly against other styles.

I spent way more time on you than you deserve.

matt_bio.jpg

pf-mir.jpg

Conor-McGregor1.jpg
Sorry but 2 fact you need to understand. 1. The Brazilian Royce Gracie is the man who built & carried the ufc on his back. 2. Conor will never be the greatest or most dominate FW til he surpasses everything ALDO HAS ALREADY DONE.

matt_bio.jpg

pf-mir.jpg

Conor-McGregor1.jpg
Sorry but 2 fact you need to understand. 1. The Brazilian Royce Gracie is the man who built & carried the ufc on his back. 2. Conor will never be the greatest or most dominate FW til he surpasses everything ALDO HAS ALREADY DONE.

matt_bio.jpg

pf-mir.jpg

Conor-McGregor1.jpg
You should say UFC instead of MMA. There was MMA in Japan in what you call the dark ages.

I don't think you have nearly enough evidence to believe he's "not near the top at LW".

I assume you're basing that belief on how competitive Conor has been with Nate Diaz in these 2 fights, as well as getting finished in the first fight. But you're forgetting an important and obvious piece of information: styles make fights.

You're saying Conor isn't a top LW because Nate isn't a top LW. Well, if Nate isn't a top LW, then neither is Cowboy or Michael Johnson. If Cowboy isn't a top Lightweight, neither is Eddie Alvarez or Edson Barboza. If Alvarez and Barboza and Johnson aren't top Lightweights, then neither are RDA and Tony Ferguson and Anthony Pettis. I could go on. It's a popular belief among MMA fans that MMA Math is stupid. The idea that "styles make fights" is what makes it stupid.

All of the fighters above are top lightweights. They just have different styles. And certain styles do well against certain styles, but badly against other styles.

I spent way more time on you than you deserve.
Really? MMA math from 5 years ago? Michael Johnson is not a top contender at LW, he's a guy who's had some good wins but is on a 2 fight losing streak, and Nate beat Cowboy 5 years ago. Cowboy has fought 17 times since then. What style is Conor going to face who matches up better than Nate, who just kept the fight at Conor's strength for 25 minutes?

Back