The myth that losing to Serra made GSP timid.

RiotWyatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Just look at his performances after. Sure, the first Koscheck fight was uneventful but he man-handled a stud wrestler at his own game.

Then:

Vs Hughes 3
UFC79-GSPXMattHughes-R2-3-armbar-400-sg.gif

Vs Serra 2
tumblr_m67p8eBt311ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Vs Fitch
tumblr_nbr4toEzvL1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

tumblr_met084DecM1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
tumblr_nbr4toEzvL1ry1rm7o3_r1_400.gif

Vs Penn 2
georges-st-pierre_bj-penn_2.gif

Post-Serra GSP was the most vicious fighter we'd ever seen. It was only after his win over Alves, also very impressive, that he began to decline. That's because he suffered a groin injury that put him out for a while, then many injuries started to catch up to him.

Just look at his performances after. Sure, the first Koscheck fight was uneventful but he man-handled a stud wrestler at his own game.

Then:

Vs Hughes 3
UFC79-GSPXMattHughes-R2-3-armbar-400-sg.gif

Vs Serra 2
tumblr_m67p8eBt311ry1rm7o1_250.gif

Vs Fitch
tumblr_nbr4toEzvL1ry1rm7o2_400.gif

tumblr_met084DecM1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
tumblr_nbr4toEzvL1ry1rm7o3_r1_400.gif

Vs Penn 2
georges-st-pierre_bj-penn_2.gif

Post-Serra GSP was the most vicious fighter we'd ever seen. It was only after his win over Alves, also very impressive, that he began to decline. That's because he suffered a groin injury that put him out for a while, then many injuries started to catch up to him.

Instead of all your worthless gifs, you coulda just said it made Greg Jacksons' gameplan boring and stupid.

He was more cautious for sure. That doesn't mean he didn't have some excellent and vicious moments, but he did start taking less chances and really focusing on his wrestling. To his defense, that is probably his strongest skill so he worked with what he had. Let's face it, he was incredible at what he did.

I honestly think his timid evolution stemmed from his poularity and his defense streak. It began with immense pressure to not lose, and continued with immense pressure to actually finish a fight.

Forget the gifs, I saw it with my own eyes- the GSP who tore through Trigg, brutalized Sherk and curb stomped Mayhem turned into a five round top control clinic later in his career.

He was every bit as dominant, maybe more, but there was a certain "playing it safe" element that you could see throughout his last few years.

Last edited:
People also forget that when you start figting the best of the best it gets harder to finish fights.

When was the last time Hendricks finished anyone

He fought much tougher competition which were extremely hard to finish,both to KO and submit,and were coming off long win/undefeated streaks.
How many times were Diaz,Hendricks,Condit,Shields,Fitch and Penn finished in their primes?
Think that should answer it...,and despite that how GSP still dominated (most of)them is another story...

Post-Serra GSP was the most vicious fighter we'd ever seen.

Im a huge gsp fan and i think that some of his detractors dont really pay attention to his fights to know what their talking about but slow the fuck down with comments like this plz

I am from Iowa and am a big MFS, Hughes, Lawler fan. so maybe I don't like georges too much.
Koscheck was not that good in 2007, and Georges was pissed and took it too him
He had fought hughes before and hughes wasn't a great striker at all
BJ Penn, Thiago Alves, and Dan Hardy (supposedly) were dangerous strikers, so GSP chose to wrestle them

Jon Fitch said recently that "he broke gsp" now I know he got alot of backlash about that since georges kicked the shit out of him, but georges threw everything at him and tried to finish it multiple times, and never tried that again on anyone else his entire career.

Personally I think getting off of PED's did.

GSP became masterful at winning fights on the ground. He used it to win decisions.

I'd call that smart, not timid.

It wasn't as simple as just Serra making GSP a safer fighter IMHO, I think you saw the early signs vs BJ the first time where he lost the standup in the opening round and switched to ground control instead.

Against someone like Fitch George obviously knew he wasn't facing significant power standing so fought in a much more aggressive fashion akin to his earlier career.

Nah.

It ain't no myth. Look at his finishing rate before and after Serra.

Before Serra: 10/13 wins were stoppages.

After Serra: 3/12 wins were stoppages.

So no.

GSP gets a lot of shit for not finishing late in his career, but the same thing has happened to Aldo and Jones also

Nah.

It ain't no myth. Look at his finishing rate before and after Serra.

Before Serra: 10/13 wins were stoppages.

After Serra: 3/12 wins were stoppages.

So no.

Alot of the guys he fought after serra were hard to finish though.

Alot of the guys he fought after serra were hard to finish though.

When Koscheck faced GSP, he'd already been finished twice.

When Thiago Alves faced him, he'd already been finished 4x.

Before he faced GSP, hardy had been submitted three times--and he was finished in two of his next three fights after GSP.

Fitch, Condit, and Diaz are all tough guys to finish, no doubt (at leas Fitch WAS)

But Shields was finished in his very next fight after GSP.

I cannot agree with you, sir.

The tale of the Fallen One is as tragic as it is sinful.

A would be Saint seated at the right hand of the Bloody Father instead chose Earthly Victory over Valhalla.

Before he faced GSP, hardy had been submitted three times--and he was finished in two of his next three fights after GSP.

Fitch, Condit, and Diaz are all tough guys to finish, no doubt (at leas Fitch WAS)

I def think he changed his style to be safer,but i also think he had good reason to do that. The only fights that really dissapointed me where the shields and hardy fights,truly.

Shields ate right hands from Hendo but still won, he got finished in a fight days after his father passed.

Why does no one ever mention GSP dropping Alves in these threads?

Back