Diaz fans latest insane talking point - decisions aren't wins

robotsonic

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Do you realize how insane it is to say that? How it basically invalidates a good 60% of the MMA results that have happened in the last 10 years? How it invalidates a good chunk of the Diaz bros wins? Don't even get me started on Jake Shields...How it means that Floyd Mayweather hasn't won the vast majority of his fights...

It seems like we've reached peak saltiness now and people are coming up with ever more deluded ways of explaining away Nate's loss. Guys, just stop, you are fucking embarrassing yourselves.

Much(not all) of the Diaz fanbase take after the Diaz brothers in their delusion. According to them theyve never lost a fight

They are wins but not great wins. Conor edged Diaz out, congrats. Nate choked Conor out on 10 days notice.

Let's see what happens in a Trilogy at their real weight - 155lbs.

I'm a Diaz fan but I also like Conor. They are both tough as fuck and put on great fights. People talk about Conor being some god because he's willing to fight Mendes on short notice... you guys understand that McGregor was probably making 7m+ for that fight? Anybody and their mother wouldn't have turned down a fight with one specific person.

When you are getting paid the fuck out... you'll fight anyone.

Wish it didn't go to decision. It was a pretty even fight, i actually had it as a draw also. I think Conor's stock went down because of his lack of a stoppage. I actually wanted them both to lose. Diaz is a punk that i wish would just go away, and Conor reads too much of his own press.

It's embarrassing to see people claim Diaz didn't lose, we all need to just move on. McGregor won, I don't like him, but I can give him his dues. He came through adversity and beat Diaz over 5 rounds.

I wish it had gone different, I was praying for another Diaz submission. But it wasn't to be. Diaz can go back to fighting top ranked LWs coming off a career best performance over Michael Johnson and Conor can go back to FW and defend his title. The trilogy will come further down the line and we can see them teeing off on each other again. Everyone wins.

comparing a close win to getting choked out is insane.

under the current severely flawed Unified Rules, decisions don't mean shit.

Diaz brothers are undefeated, bro...It's a robbery every time.

And on the other end, we had Anderson haters and Chael fans discounting Anderson's first win because Chael was winning until he lost, or because Anderson won by "Hail Mary" submission.

They are wins but not great wins. Conor edged Diaz out, congrats. Nate choked Conor out on 10 days notice.

Let's see what happens in a Trilogy at their real weight - 155lbs.

I'm a Diaz fan but I also like Conor. They are both tough as fuck and put on great fights. People talk about Conor being some god because he's willing to fight Mendes on short notice... you guys understand that McGregor was probably making 7m+ for that fight? Anybody and their mother wouldn't have turned down a fight with one specific person.

When you are getting paid the fuck out... you'll fight anyone.
Unless your name is RDA or Aldo

record+round.gif

Threads these days.

It's a win, just not anything close to a decisive win, especially because Nate would have probably finished Conor pretty easily with another minute or so on the clock. Still, it was a great performance by Conor.

Wish it didn't go to decision. It was a pretty even fight, i actually had it as a draw also. I think Conor's stock went down because of his lack of a stoppage. I actually wanted them both to lose. Diaz is a punk that i wish would just go away, and Conor reads too much of his own press.

Conor's been one of the few fighters to knock Nate on his ass (multiple times btw). If Conor wasn't so overly cautious in trying to avenge his loss, I'm sure he would have followed up and pounced with Nate on the ground in the 2nd.

IMO, his stock went up because now he's shown he has heart, pretty good chin (against similar/bigger sized man), and was able to showcase some pretty good TDD in the later rounds. These are things we have literally never seen from him before.

I haven't seen anyone say that decisions don't count.

That said in a majority decision where 3 judges can't agree Conor won, its obvious that others will feel the same way

A decision win is ALWAYS better than a decision loss, but I just think that the Diaz fans are talking more about who this was a relatively close decision and it didn't put the stamp on this thing that a lot of Conor fans are acting like it did.

That decision didnt feel like a win. Nate beat him by finishing him in the second. Conor barely survived against Nate and I feel had Nate had a game plan he would have submitted Conor in the third.

Conor's been one of the few fighters to knock Nate on his ass (multiple times btw). If Conor wasn't so overly cautious in trying to avenge his loss, I'm sure he would have followed up and pounced with Nate on the ground in the 2nd.

IMO, his stock went up because now he's shown he has heart, pretty good chin (against similar/bigger sized man), and was able to showcase some pretty good TDD in the later rounds. These are things we have literally never seen from him before.

I disagree, Conor didn't finish him like he said he was going to do numerous times. It was a pretty close fight so ya, stock went down. Diaz's stock went down too, because he showed he refuses to check leg kicks, refuses to deal with his scar tissue, spammed the same combo all night, just simply showed he refuses to progress in his training. I don't want to see a third fight, i never wanted to see the first one. I want to see championship fights.

I think a dominant decision win is the best way of judging who a better fighter is. Serra stopped GSP but it was still widely accepted that GSP was the better fighter, Connor was choked out by Nate but was still the betting favorite in the rematch.

Granted, the decision over Diaz was nowhere near dominant, but he showed he was the better fighter in 3 of the 5 rounds.

Back