Who is the hardest potential matchup for McGregor from 145 to 170

Ar145984

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First of all, love the fact that we have a fighter who we could make fantasy matchups from three divisions, not enough respect there.

Onto my point, I think Wonderboy or Cerrone would be the hardest matchups. Wonderboy has excellent kickboxing, and great TDD, plus he has the reach and height advantage. His chin has been known to be suspect though, and his BJJ game isnt on par with Nate. Cerrone has a weakness with body shots, but makes up for it with an excellent muay thai game and bjj.

Conor isn't a WW and I highly doubt he ever fights at 170 again. He weighed in at 168 both fights with Nate, that's too small.

So disregard 170. To answer your question I think it is clearly Khabib.

And why does Wonderboy have a suspect chin? Never knocked out, dropped by Berger but he's one of the heaviest hitters by far in that division.

any bigger guys who can wrestle.

next question

Conor isn't a WW and I highly doubt he ever fights at 170 again. He weighed in at 168 both fights with Nate, that's too small.

So disregard 170. To answer your question I think it is clearly Khabib.
f7FdEdG.jpg

Rory MacDonald beats him easily imo.

"First of all, love the fact that we have a fighter who we could make fantasy matchups from three divisions"

Sorry not even trying to hate on Conor this time, but based on what?
Because he fought Nate at 170?
Because I don't think it makes much sense to even discuss the WWs vs Conor most of them would destroy him.
Why not make it at LW and FW for a discussion that actually makes sense?

"First of all, love the fact that we have a fighter who we could make fantasy matchups from three divisions"

Because I don't think it makes much sense to even discuss the WWs vs Conor most of them would destroy him.
Agree 100%. The guy is not a WW. He won't fight at 170 again and even said if he fought Nate a 3rd time he wanted it at 155.

I'm a big fan of Conor but I am also rational. Fighting upper tier guys at 170 would be a giant mistake and probably take years off his career. Fuck that.

Khabib "the blanket" would be the toughest test at 155 & lower since CM isn't a WW and those guys shouldn't even be considered.

Rory would have his way with Conor due to the grappling and his size. GSP would do the same to be honest...Damien Maia might kill Conor as the dude is massive for WW and a human backpack.

At LW, RDA and Khabib would pose him serious problems - Alvarez if he fights smart will also be a big problem for Conor as he has pretty good cardio, enough striking to get by, great wrestling and a rock solid chin.

At FW Max Holloway is a different man and would be a different challenge this time, Edgar would most likely blanket Conor after making him gas in the second round. Aldo I am not so sure about - He has great footwork and horror leg kicks but Conor has proven already he can one punch KO him - not interested in that fight - Anyone want to see Glover rematch AJ? Didn't think so..

Conor could beat the likes of Tyrone though, suspect chin, one big shot, average wrestling.

Khabib is a legit gorilla at 155lbs, would find it very hard to see Conor countering Khabib's grappling.

He gets wrecked by top 10 WW. At LW I think he'll do alright and might even beat the champ. I think Khabib puts him on his ass at will and beats him 50-45 and I'd also pick RDA against him.

First of all, love the fact that we have a fighter who we could make fantasy matchups from three divisions, not enough respect there.

Why would the guy get respect for fighting exclusively no-risk high-reward fights? The guy doesen't do fucking NUTTING risky. It's not risky to fight a LW at WW twice, it's not risky to fight for a second belt while not defending your current belt, it's not risky to take 10 day replacements compared to fighting only guys with full preparation. It's not risky to rematch a loss. Conor takes no risks, gets circlejerked as the bravest guy alive.

yup, he should love BJ Penn then

Back