Why don't we see more of THIS? (Elbows to arm)

Probably nobody thinks about it.

I know from experience if you get hit in the right spot it'll fuck you up, same with legs.

Probably because that's a really unlikely position to end up in.

I've though about the same type of thing to the thighs if you were in guard or something. Could be effective if used correctly.

Means is just a mean motherfucker, the very first time I saw him I was a fan

Tim means is a diaz fanboy. One of the many fighters that night trying to slap people. Bet it'll get out of hand like the oblique kick

Elbows in particular are almost the most underrated and underused shots in UFC xD

It's like either a fighter throws a lot or almost none.

Something tells me I'd throw them in the clinch and in GnP whenever possible.

I've though about the same type of thing to the thighs if you were in guard or something. Could be effective if used correctly.

Old school jiu jitsu actually teaches heel kicks to the thigh (sciatic nerve) as an alternative to the kidney kicks Royce used a lot in his early fights. And yes, they are effective.

I often used to think that about doing that on the shoulder blade, when someone's fighting for a double leg against the cage. That would have to mess with their ability to throw punches after.

Bas Rutten talked about this one of the times he was on Joe's podcast. Lots of young guys ask him whether strikes to the thigh or arm are effective and why people don't do them more often in positions like that one. He said "wait till you get in the ring and you'll see".

And apparently, according to him, it's the jitters. It's like stage fright. When you get into the ring, all creativity and peace of mind and rational sense go out the door and you're stuck doing whatever you drilled over and over in the gym till it became instinct. A few guys like Jones and apparently Tim Means can overcome that and get creative in there. Maybe drugs have something to do with it.

reminds me of Cheick Kongo's brutal shots to Paul Buentello's leg.

Or Matt Brown elbowing Jordan Mein in the back/kidneys.

Back