Wresting quality at 155 - what it means for Mcgregor

tnsinga

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I guess it seems Conor Mcgregor will be fighting at his probable natural weight class at 155 - maybe for the title in the not so far future. His TDD against the cage was pretty good against Nate - nobody can really deny this as he stuffed all but one take-down which occurred at the end of the fight. Although I've noticed here on Sherdog that people seem to be acting like he neutralized the wrestling game of a prime GSP - when really Nate is probably the worst wrestler in the top 15 at 155 (i've attached the top 15 - Pettis will probably be moved to 45 and in my opinion the only other person who might be on level with Nate is Barboza).

Am i right in saying that there is 13 or 14 better wrestlers in the top 15 at 155 than Nate? Will Mcgregor be able to handle it?
- The fight against mini Mendes still leaves me with real doubt, what do you think?

I agree with you, Nate doesn't have very good takedowns compared to other fighters in the top 10 at LW. And seeing how he was able to control Conor up against the cage I think atleast Khabib, Alvarez and RDA will have their way with Conor in the clinchbattle, probably taking him down at will.

It's certainly a question but it could also be argued that McGregor is a better striker than most on that list. It'll be a classic wrestler vs striker match.

He kinda look bad Vs Mendes before he got the Ko.
Conor seem easy to take down, and Chad was able for the most part to kept him there.

Vs a even bigger wrestler he could mean trouble for sure.

Conor did all the right thing to beat Nate in the rematch.
And that was still real close, I don't think he can beat a top 5 guy at 155 tbh.

I wanna watch him try tho.

It's certainly a question but it could also be argued that McGregor is a better striker than most on that list. It'll be a classic wrestler vs striker match.
In my experience the wrestlers tend to win those...

Usually, but like the guy as AV, if you can control distance, strikers get the W. We hadn't seen Conor's TD defence since the Mendes fight which was over a year ago and the signs against Nate were positive.

Diaz..... 3-3 in the last 4 years at LW. #4 in the rankings. UFC logic.

He beat Cerrone and Michael Johnson and all the guys he lost to are above him.

He beat Cerrone and Michael Johnson and all the guys he lost to are above him.
Cerrone is like 8-1 in his last 9 LW fights and that one loss was to the champ, but they rank Nate higher lol.

It's a joke, Nate is a glorified gatekeeper, they're just trying to make it look like Conor lost to a top fighter.

It's pretty simple. A blown-up BW midget literally had his way with him in terms of take downs and also tagged him a lot. Imagine someone who cuts to 155 and comes in at like 175-180 on fight night that actually has strength and good take downs. Conor needs 300K to gameplan against someone that everybody has figured out for a long time and done 10K camps for it. Good for Conor that he improved but I think he needs to spend more time improving outside of preparing for a specific opponent.

He kinda look bad Vs Mendes before he got the Ko.
Conor seem easy to take down, and Chad was able for the most part to kept him there.

Vs a even bigger wrestler he could mean trouble for sure.

Conor did all the right thing to beat Nate in the rematch.
And that was still real close, I don't think he can beat a top 5 guy at 155 tbh.

I wanna watch him try tho.

for sure. chad is a ridiculously good wrestler though. he still averages 4 a fight despite relying more on his standup lately. the only person he's ever failed to take/hold down was aldo (and really, who ever has). he was pretty much known as a blanket up until the first aldo fight. chad landed takedowns at will on guida and lentz who are bigger FW's/LW's with solid wrestling.

there really aren't that many wrestlers like that in the top ten at LW. those are all hard fights, but many of them are winnable. hell, poirier is ranked 8 right now. it's pretty much all strikers besides chiesa (who isn't a takedown artist) and khabib.

TD defense is the key. Chuck Liddell was pretty good and not much of a wrestler.

Last edited:
The best wrestler to matchup against Conor isn't Khabib imo. You need someone that's able to disguise it better, instead of brute forcing it. I actually think, Mendes successfully took down Conor so many times because the short notice was a benefit. Everyone hates John Kavanagh but I think if you give them full camp, they will prepare Conor for the takedowns and I can see the wrestler getting knocked out if he tries to force the takedown. With that being said, Conor will get ragdolled if they catch him.

McGregor knocked out the best wrestler in the 145 lb division. Mendes finished his wretling career with an overall record of 64-14 and twice earned NCAA All-American honors. As a senior, Mendes finished the year with a 30-1 record; he placed 2nd in the 2008 NCAA championships at 141 lb.

Cerrone is like 8-1 in his last 9 LW fights and that one loss was to the champ, but they rank Nate higher lol.

It's a joke, Nate is a glorified gatekeeper, they're just trying to make it look like Conor lost to a top fighter.

But he beat Cerrone. Michael Johnson beat Barbosa. He's number 4 or around that mark.

Alvarez, RDA, Khabib, Cowboy and MJ could all grapplefuck Conor badly.

If they don't get KO'd closing the distance that is.

Back