How To Fix MMA

Barien

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I have a proposal for how to make MMA much more interesting, which I am sure athletes and fans will agree with. I myself am experienced as a competitive Judoka, so I understand a thing or two about how these things will work and will present new and extensive rules with regards to this proposal.

Remove the cage as a boundary altogether - there is no cage in any other martial art. Pressing people up against the fence and scooping out their legs isn't an honest way to get a takedown, and nobody enjoys watching this type of fight. It is practically impossible to defend from; the cage is used as a tool and a weapon, and this is against the spirit of MMA.

Adopt a style like wrestling, judo etc. Have a large mat area with the fight area one colour, the out of bounds area a different colour, and perhaps a cage surrounding the out of bounds area just to be thorough (prevent the fighters from leaving and the fans from throwing things inside or streaking).

New Rules

If the fight is taken out of bounds, the referee will quickly reset the fighters to the starting position. If a takedown or strike lands the fighters out of bounds and a fighter is able to establish control in a dominant position on the ground, he/she will be allowed to maintain the position until both of the fighters stand back up, upon which the referee will immediately reset the fighters. If a fighter intentionally leaves the area or tries to leave the area (including while on his/her back and trying to escape the boundary to get stood up), this will result in a penalty. If the fight is taken to the ground and out of bounds as discussed earlier, motioning towards the cage is allowed; the fighters will still be immediately reset only if both of the fighters stand up. If a fighter is too often pushed out of bounds, this will result in a penalty due to being too defensive. However, simply trying to forcefully push your opponent out of the area will also result in a penalty; getting an opponent out of bounds must be a result of takedown attempts or strikes.

This style will obviously require a bigger mat area, perhaps double the size, but it's certainly possible to do.

Overall this will yield a much more pure version of MMA, which overall the fans will enjoy more. From solely an entertainment standpoint, NOBODY likes when fights take place on the cage. From an athletic standpoint, takedowns will have to be earned the proper way like they are in Judo and wrestling. I'm sure my fellow grapplers can appreciate that it is much harder to defend from leg picks when pressed against the cage. You cannot sprawl or move backwards when there is a fence behind you. The best thing you can do is spread your legs, which isn't nearly as effective.

So, what do you guys think? Do you agree? If you have any other suggestions feel free to post them. I'm gonna go email this to Dana White. No, not really, but I'm sure a lot of us would like to see fights performed like this one day. At this point, it's just a thought.

Impossible to defend a takedown from the cage?? You do realise most takedowns would be finished even quicker without the cage there to prop guys up. If this were true, every wrestler would win every fight this way. There are effective ways to counter that.

Impossible to defend a takedown from the cage?? You do realise most takedowns would be finished even quicker without the cage there to prop guys up. If this were true, every wrestler would win every fight this way. There are effective ways to counter that.
"every wrestler would win every fight" uhh okay man.

I hate the cage too, at least as of late.

Fighters are trying to win by using they clinch all the time when they have a size advantage. Nate trying to do that to Conor was funny as shit because of what he did after first fight. He turned into a wrestling dude really quick after realizing he was losing the stand up battle every time.

And TDs from the cage are not impressive.

TS created a new account to propose these ideas. He must really feel passionately about it.

I'm saying if TS was right that takedowns against the cage are "practically impossible to defend" were true. Learn to read.

Look at the two leg takedowns Jon Jones scored against DC. That's the type of situation I was referring to and I stand by what I said

The only way to fix MMA is to get rid of all the boring wrasslers in MMA.

So you want Judo with striking?

Sounds bretty lame desu.

The only way to fix MMA is to get rid of all the boring wrasslers in MMA.
Wrestling would not be boring if the cage was removed. You would see spectacular, properly executed takedowns this way.

Look at the two leg takedowns Jon Jones scored against DC. That's the type of situation I was referring to and I stand by what I said

And look at the countless amount of times a deep takedown gets avoided because the cage is propping the less skilled grappler up, or when fighters use the cage on bottom to escape ground positions. Every fighter needs to learn to use it. If you don't its poor preparation.

And look at the countless amount of times a deep takedown gets avoided because the cage is propping the less skilled grappler up, or when fighters use the cage on bottom to escape ground positions. Every fighter needs to learn to use it. If you don't its poor preparation.

I agree with you, with the current MMA fight system every fighter needs to practice cage technique. But like I said, the cage is being used as a tool and a weapon. This is against the spirit of MMA. The point is that the only weapons you can use are your own body and gravity..

I agree with you, with the current MMA fight system every fighter needs to practice cage technique. But like I said, the cage is being used as a tool and a weapon. This is against the spirit of MMA. The point is that the only weapons you can use are your own body and gravity..

I agree with you in principle, but you're talking like cage technique is impossible to defend and it isn't.

Who else didn't read, lol?
Cause I didn't read lol

I hate the cage too, at least as of late.

Fighters are trying to win by using they clinch all the time when they have a size advantage. Nate trying to do that to Conor was funny as shit because of what he did after first fight. He turned into a wrestling dude really quick after realizing he was losing the stand up battle every time.

And TDs from the cage are not impressive.
Jesus dude. If a guy is faster than you (like Conor) and has better foot work (like Conor) and is being evasive (like Conor) The best thing for the bigger fighter with more gas to do is push the smaller fighter against the cage and make him dirty box.And that wasn't wrestling, that was a bunch of pummeling. It ain't rocket science.

I agree with you in principle, but you're talking like cage technique is impossible to defend and it isn't.
you must grant though that it is much easier to lift someone when you have them pressed up against the cage.

Jesus dude. If a guy is faster than you (like Conor) and has better foot work (like Conor) and is being evasive (like Conor) The best thing for the bigger fighter with more gas to do is push the smaller fighter against the cage and make him dirty box.And that wasn't wrestling, that was a bunch of pummeling. It ain't rocket science.

He was trying to take Conor to the ground too. And clinch is a part of wrestling.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to do that. It's just that he did talk shit, so you would expect him to try to trade. Also doing that the whole fucking time in the last rounds is not great.

Back