The Era of Cherrypicking Champions: Woodley, Nunes, & Bisping

Coolidge

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some might argue that the genesis of the cherrypicking era was Conor McGregor. The UFC gave him the authority to fight whomever he pleases. These newer champions are following his lead and trying to pick/influence who their opponents are going to be.

Bisping cherrypicked elderly Dan Henderson after beating Rockhold. Huge step down.

Amanda Nunes said Shevchenko doesn't deserve a rematch, despite schooling Holly Holm.

Eddie Alvarez called out Nate Diaz, who's on a one fight win streak against a legitimate lightweight.

Tyron Woodley is trying to cherrypick Nick Diaz, who has the worst wrestling defense in the entire division.

This is not good.

Last edited:
Didn't Eddie Alvarez also name Nate Diaz?

Conor started the trend. He's never once defended a belt, even in other orgs.

Nick via gogo

You could say the genesis of the cherrypicking era was Conor McGregor. The UFC gave him the authority to fight whomever he pleases. These newer champions are following his lead and trying to pick/influence who their opponents are going to be.

Bisping cherrypicked elderly Dan Henderson after beating Rockhold. Huge step down.

Amanda Nunes said Shevchenko doesn't deserve a rematch, despite schooling Holly Holm.

Tyron Woodley is trying to cherrypick Nick Diaz, who has the worst wrestling defense in the entire division.

This is not good.

Yes, they gave Conor who ever he wanted like Mendes, the worst match up for Conor ever.

I can relate to Bisping with him going after the belt for the past 10 years and having that epic loss lining up with Henderson koing Lombard.

The others are bullshit tho. Let's not forget that Rockhold was also calling out Vitor as soon as he won his belt.

match making for casuals is something the hardcores need to rebel against by not buying these shitty cards

The Bisping one is the worst of all time. It's really on the UFC for making that fight.

Bisping wants revenge. Nunes just beat Shev recently.

Not sure how u can't see their logic.

Bisping wants revenge. Nunes just beat Shev recently.

Not sure how u can't see their logic.
Can see the reason for not wanting to fight Schevchenko but didn't she also suggest Pena fight Schevchenko? No reason to not welcome Pena as her first defense.

GSP cherry picked Nick Diaz who was coming off a LOSS and year long suspension. You idiots had no problem with that, so don't cry about Woodly.

That was the most embarrassing post-fight interview in the history of the UFC.

"Yeah, give me an easy win. I don't want to fight someone who actually has a chance to beat me."

"You aren't the champion until you defend the title" a wise man once said, or was it Hughes?

GSP cherry picked Nick Diaz who was coming off a LOSS and year long suspension. You idiots had no problem with that, so don't cry about Woodly.

I did have a problem with it, actually. It was one of the most egregious examples of cherrypicking in the sport's history. Tyron is repeating it.

Back