Everyone Has Their Opinion Of The Best- But…

Ridian

Lifelong Combat Sports Fan
@purple
Reaction score
What is your definition of the best?

It is such a relative thing "the best"

What about a fighter makes you think they are the best?

Cleaning out their division, and doing so in dominant fashion.

Making fights that should be wars, look like one-sided affairs.

He/she has to NOT do PEDs or have ever done PEDs

He/she has to have a solid record of beating elite level fighters

He/she has to have a certain amount of fights and an impressive win to lose ratio

He/she has to have very little weaknesses as a fighter

He/she has to not continuously duck quality opposition

EDIT: GSP is the GOAT. Fedor is a close 2nd. Whoever is 3rd is a long way behind those two.

To me it is beating the rest of the best at their weight and showing heart when on the wrong side of a beating. Not talking shit and always fighting to finish

Is there really such a thing as "cleaning out a division"?

I don't even know if MM is at that point of "cleaning out his division" yet. He still haven't faced anyone like Smolka.

Rocky Balboa and I don't give a fuck about what you think about it.

latest

To me it has to do with the size of their biceps! #BigGunsWin

To me the best guy is the guy that beats everyone. Not just on point, but legitimately tries to beat them, and does.

For that reason, I go with Fedor because he's always aggressive. He doesn't stall and try to win points. He goes for the finish no matter who it is.

Dominance in a division. Multiple title defenses. Lack of testing positive.

Being best is temporary but Greatness is undeniable.
Greatness is athlete, competition and victory folding in on space time and manifesting awe.

Awe is the emotion elicited by acts of undeniable greatness. Greatness trumps best.

Greatness is trucking best on it's knees and the heavens opening up and showering the music of angels.

It's causes mortal man to stop in his tracks and watch in awe and elevates a select to Godhood.

things like "cleaning out the division" and "number of title defenses" are kinda meh when it comes to judging the best fighter imo
skill and way of victory(dominating, outplaying) is more important than shit like that, whats impressive the most about someone like floyd isnt that hes undefeated its how he literally would just "outbox" his opponents

travis browne beating overeem is not an impressive win in terms of being the best because alistair "outplayed" travis for most of the fight
worse fighters can win fights (rockhold bisping 2, gsp serra 1 etc)

What is your definition of the best?

It is such a relative thing "the best"

What about a fighter makes you think they are the best?

The only thing anyone cares about, when determining the best, and this goes for any sport, is wins and losses. In terms of MMA, its how long was the title run. That is pretty much the only thing that matters. It is the one thing in common with all the GOAT contenders. GSP defended 9 times, Silva defended 11 times, Jon Jones defended 8 times. Even with a guy like Matt Hughes, who is considered the 2nd best Welter of all time, had 7 title defenses in his career.

Ronda Rousey is the best ever in the history of mankind and possibly alien civilization. I mean, come on you can't get any better than that.

To the other good mentioned qualifications, I'll add
- ability to adjust and change plans depending on what happens in a fight;
- keeps a decently busy schedule, without multiple year+ stretches of inactivity;
- has great competition and overcomes it;
- no ducking tough opponents;
- not only beats other elite fighters, but beats lower-tier fighters convincingly;
- a loss or two is ok but they get avenged.

It would be nice to add, capable of winning multiple ways. However, a lot of really great fighters didn't actually do that, even if they were very well-rounded. So, I can't disqualify GSP because (mostly) all he did was control and outpoint people. Or in boxing, Mayweather, Ali, etc. - they were well rounded enough to beat all kinds of opponents, but almost always by control, as opposed to turning out their lights.

Anderson won multiple ways, he had it all (except maybe really great competition) but the PED crap blots it all out like a giant asterisk.

The best fighter is on drugs,steroids.He is trash talker,with few suspensions,not respects anyone.Mad,crazy behavior,criminal.Cheather,liar,with brain damage.

Back