Nate vs Conor: Nate is the betting underdog once again.

The Big Bang

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I was just perusing various betting sites, and on The Greek for example (good site btw) here are the current odds:

Conor -135
Diaz +105

Take that as you will, but anyone who knows what both of those fighters bring to the table can attest to the at least semi-legitimacy of said odds.

Do I think Nate is going to win, and do I want him to with...fuck yeah, BUT I envision him fighting HARD (in a stand up war) instead of SMART...(striving to keep it OFF the feet) which would be a shame because Nate is bound to get cut up early...(again) Just Bleed style...

...whereas he could obviously do WORK on the mat in multiple dimensions. (...alas, his power base is not there in order to force a ground game without using trickery...although I could be wrong in reference to someone as limited and small as Conor...)

And I know, tons of y'all are going to proclaim that the odds are WAY OFF, but...they aren't really that far off.

Personally, I think Nate should be a 2 to 1 favorite, and although he is the slight underdog, that doesn't mean that Vegas is predicting that outcome, as variables abound as far as odds are concerned.

In MMA, the fame of a given fighter can REALLY skew the odds in a given fight...(in large part due to the limited number of people who gamble in it, as opposed to other sports) and I would venture a guess that's what's happening in this fight.

In closing, to those of you who gamble on MMA, you know damn well that one can find GREAT success from gambling on it...as opposed to team sports as I already mentioned.

I have yet to look at prop bets for this fight, (I'm not sure if they're even available yet) but the primary outcome (Nate being a +105 underdog) is more than tempting to gamble on...

...and I'm talking about GAMBLING on it, because of course, it's not gambling if you can afford to lose.

Anyway, WAR Diaz!

I'm definitely not counting Conor out. He's amazing and also absolutely obsessed. I think he has a great shot because he's smart enough to realise he needs a better gameplan.

But Nate as an underdog is pretty fucking stupid.

giphy.gif

makes sense, conor seems to match up well on feet and seems like he's taking rematch seriously while with nate you never know

Nate... Dont see how that McCaca can take him anywhere...

Of course he is.

Conor is simply better. This time he will be prepared. No more cockiness.

Almost hate to see Conor lose again because he IS admittedly an exciting and dynamic striker.

Then I remember how good those Stockton Slaps felt

Conor Haters of Sherdog!!!! This is guaranteed money! Bet the house!

I guess there's no cure for the stupid that comes from being a Conor but hugger.

Great to know the bet makers know what's up, at least.

The bet makers don't generate odds simply on logic, as name recognition alone can drive betting lines to and fro.

Any halfway decent gambler knows this, and any GOOD gambler can oft take advantage of it, especially in MMA.

Of course he is.

Conor is simply better. This time he will be prepared. No more cockiness.

Uh...Conor had a full training camp where as Diaz has 10 days most of which was media...

you don't think Diaz will come in better as well?

LoL

Almost hate to see Conor lose again because he IS admittedly an exciting and dynamic striker.

Then I remember how good those Stockton Slaps felt
It would be ideal if Conor could go on another winning streak, so we can build up some fresh disdain and contempt for him, before taking another loss. Two in a row is kind of a waste...

I am not one who says Conor has no chance. I believe he has a shot at redemption but Nate as the underdog is absolutely stupid but its do to the fair weather fans still riding that Mcgregor train.

It would be ideal if Conor could go on another winning streak, so we can build up some fresh disdain and contempt for him, before taking another loss. Two in a row is kind of a waste...

Eh but a fall from grace does set up that redemption arc so...

So...what im seeing here is that the betting lines and such..its all a popularity contest.

I would bet money on diaz even though im rooting for conor to settle the score.

Even if they put nate as the favorite the line would inevitably swing from all the nut huggers placing bets on Conor regardless of whether or not it was a smart bet.

Back