Ross Pearson: "I'd like to see the fights go five, three-minute rounds"

chunglii

No Me Duele
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://www.flocombat.com/article/44234-ross-pearson-something-has-to-be-done-about-mma-judging

"If I could change the system, I'd do a few things," Pearson continued. "The fights have changed so much in MMA. It's in like a second generation now, and the fighters are evolving. The judging needs to change too. I'd like to see the fights go five, three-minute rounds, because I think it's easier to judge a fight over five rounds than it is three."

"Also, we need to look at why kicking and punching someone isn't at least the same amount of points [as] pressing someone up against the fence is. I guess it's control but it's in a different way and often not as effective."

Ridiculous idea. 3 minute rounds are not enough time for an MMA fight.

For some reason, I hate Ross Pearson. The name, the face, the everything. No offence to Ross fans. I'm sure there's many here who hate everything about Tyson or Jones, etc.

tumblr_mgt578siyk1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

He's not too off or wrong. Kinda like boxing...

It would press for action to win..perhaps force more stand ups if it went to the grounds. Lnp would not be encouraged in 3 mintues of action

Fighters would be less tired and could press the pace harder knowing they only had a little time...but for sure 3 mintue rounds in mma would hurt the grappling aspect of it

3 minute rounds, what a joke. For one thing, shortening the rounds wouldn't be fair on grapplers.

Of course he wants that, he is a striker. Maybe he should become a boxer.

I don't think that'd work out well. It'd hamper grappling and wrestling. 3 mins. work fine for striking only sports.

No, that's legitimately amateur status. They do that in Gladiator Challenge/KOTC. It's fine with its current 3x5 format.

I was reading your post and having emotions like the player in this scene xD

3 minute rounds, what a joke. For one thing, shortening the rounds wouldn't be fair on grapplers.
Cry me a river, anything that makes this sport more entertaining is a good thing. I've been saying the same thing for a long time, Ross is smarter than he looks.

Submissions don't happen very often anymore besides when someone is rocked from strikes

Is someone can defend on the ground for 2:00-2:30, they would probably also defend for 4:00-4:30

are you sure?

I'd get rid of rounds altogether. One 15 or 25 minute fight sounds good. As real as it gets indeed.

This is goofy. Pretty much if you hit any type of takedown you won the round.

lolwut, fuck that shit. 10 minute first rounds, PRIDE style.

I think it's a good idea. Fighter will empty their gas tanks more willingly

That's a shit idea. Too little time for grapplers and even too little time for non Rumble strikers who don't just swarm you and throw bombs but actually establisha strategy.
It's the kind of thing someone with shit cardio says which wouldn't surprise me because Pearon does fights in bursts and can't keep up a high pace for long, in his last fight he effectively went on the offence for 2 minutes in the last round

I'd like anything that changes the idea of takedowns being over-valued.

Guys getting beat in standup handedly shooting with a minute to go, "stealing" rounds with lazy TDs that go nowhere shouldn't be a thing at all.

Back