How Did UFC Determine The Weight Of Each Weight Class?

Ridian

Lifelong Combat Sports Fan
@purple
Reaction score
Was it based on like average weights of fighters of certain heights or something?

What made them and the commissions say these specific weights are what we will use?

Must have been very uncomfortable living with all those weight classes in their asses

Sherdog is such a great place to ask questions

Must have been very uncomfortable living with all those weight classes in their asses

Combination of wrestling/boxing weight classes.. cherry picking them and adjusting them to have less and fuller.

Needs an update.

A series of complex algorithm computer formulas

It was gradual. And it was more arbitrary than scientific.

The first weight limit was 200 lbs. Heavyweights above 200 and Lightweights below 200.

Then they added 170 lbs.

Then they added 155 lbs.

Then after they made the Unified Rules of MMA, they added a 265 cap to HW, and made a new 185 class, Lower weight classes 145, 135, 125, 115 have been added over time. They also moved 200 to 205, maybe because of Tito but I don't really know.

Well 205 was created for Tito

I wonder how many fighters actually like these weight classes. How many wish they weren't so specific or something. What about a guy who is in his best fighting shape at 195 or 165? Sucks for them I guess

Why not have Junior Welterweight- 165 and Super Middleweight- 195 and Cruiserweight- 225

In fact I think Tito Ortiz had something to do with the 205 division

it was his best weight so they decided to make LHW at 205

In pride 205 was MW

Back