Rewatched Nate Diaz vs MJ for the nth time

trustno1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
If this Diaz shows up again in the McGregor rematch I don't see how the fight will go any different than a win for Nate. Of course, I think people underestimate Conor, he has power and has technically sound boxing skills - he definitely has chances, we will also see what he's going to change in his gameplan.

But damn, Michael Johnson is absolutely legit, don't care what you say. He is really technical with his striking, he's moving well and is fast, plus possesses power in his hands. And Diaz overwhelmed him gradually as the match was going. He handled his leg kicks, which are better than McGregor's in my opinion, not to mention Diaz' boxing, head movement, distance awareness. I can't see how Conor can do better than that. Wrestling wise he doesn't pose much of a threat, actually he puts himself more in danger to get subbed. So, what else is left?

Opinions?

I think it is possible the fight goes almost identically. With Conor throwing less powershots this time.

Yes. That was the best version of Nate to ever step in the octagon.

Conor needs to mix it up better this time around. Use his quickness to get in and out. Use front kicks to the thighs and body, just to halt Nate's forward progression. Keep making Nate reset and change his movement. Conor can not exchange blow for blow with Nate. Side to side movement and quick counters are what Conor needs to employ. It's going to be tough but I feel like he can do that. We shall find out once again.

Is this going to be a 3 round or a 5 round fight?

I can't put it past McGregor to do something amazing (ex: headkick KO) but otherwise, if we take these fighters at their best, based on purely everything we've seen inside the Octagon with them- it's Nate all day.

Conor has to come in significantly better than he has ever been... and with Conor that's actually a possibility because he's an amazing person.

That or he's been doing more touch-butt in his camp and his cause is hopeless.

When has Conor ever thrown a leg kick?

But but but..

but Conor's style LOOKS better!!!

5 rounds, it's the main event fight.

yeah odds are not in favor for Conor.

and he's doing that weird 'Welcome to the Mac Life' shit on youtube.

bitch you just got choked out in front of millions of people how about you put that off until next year.

When has Conor ever thrown a leg kick?

Exactly. That's what I told my friends who said he was going to use the RDA Gameplan against Diaz.

In his defense, he has thrown a couple of oblique kicks to the knee & shin area and I think he threw a leg kick against Diaz. He might employ them this time around.

That was motivated Nate, and he handled Michael Johnson with ease. Thats saying a lot. MJ is very legit.

If that Nate continues to show up for every fight, he'll be fighting for that 155 belt again. He looked sharp and crisp as hell. Best Nate I've seen.

The problem Conor has is his pride. He was landing that left at will but he continued to move forward and engage. If you want to beat either Diaz brother it is a simple formula. You need to get off before them and get out. You need to throw a lot of leg kicks and occasional head kicks because they rarely check them and their stance is a boxers stance which is horrible for Muay Thai. The guys that will lose to the Diaz brothers are the ones that have too much pride to hit and run. If you get into prolonged exchanges with a Diaz brother their granite chin, their volume of punches, and their cardio will win...period.

If Conor decides to go at Nate and not stay on his bicycle he will lose 2nd, 3rd, whatever....the longer it goes the better Nate gets because his cardio is 2x what Conor's is. However, if Conor throws a lot of leg kicks and throws that left and gets out of range he's shown he can close the distance without getting tagged by Nate's jab he can win on points if he doesn't gas over 5 rounds. He could get lucky and open a nasty cut over Nate's eye for a stoppage since that is another of the Diaz brothers' achilles heals (Nick actually had surgery to remove scar tissue because it was happening EVERY fight). He could also land a head kick for a KO but I'm still betting heavy on Nate.

If I ever find a genie in a bottle my first wish is that he take the Diaz brothers to Thailand and force them to train Muay Thai every day for 3 months...lol.

The problem Conor has is his pride. He was landing that left at will but he continued to move forward and engage. If you want to beat either Diaz brother it is a simple formula. You need to get off before them and get out. You need to throw a lot of leg kicks and occasional head kicks because they rarely check them and their stance is a boxers stance which is horrible for Muay Thai. The guys that will lose to the Diaz brothers are the ones that have too much pride to hit and run. If you get into prolonged exchanges with a Diaz brother their granite chin, their volume of punches, and their cardio will win...period.

If Conor decides to go at Nate and not stay on his bicycle he will lose 2nd, 3rd, whatever....the longer it goes the better Nate gets because his cardio is 2x what Conor's is. However, if Conor throws a lot of leg kicks and throws that left and gets out of range he's shown he can close the distance without getting tagged by Nate's jab he can win on points if he doesn't gas over 5 rounds. He could get lucky and open a nasty cut over Nate's eye for a stoppage since that is another of the Diaz brothers' achilles heals (Nick actually had surgery to remove scar tissue because it was happening EVERY fight). He could also land a head kick for a KO but I'm still betting heavy on Nate.

3 posts in 4.5 years. Damn.

I can see Conor winning IF he cuts Nate up badly again & he lasts long enough for a Doctor stoppage on cuts or if he lands an absolute peach head kick. Other than them potential outcomes I don't see him winning, on evidence we've seen that Nate has enough pop on his trademark straight one-two combo's to badly stun Conor... we've also seen that Nate can deal with Conor on the ground. If it goes to decision I'd also say that Nate's cardio, high punch output & experience will give him the better chance of a points win because I doubt Conor can keep up to Nate's tempo but I'd be worried if it went to a decision if I was Nate though... "the golden boy" vs "the badboy"

I can see Conor winning IF he cuts Nate up badly again & he lasts long enough for a Doctor stoppage on cuts or if he lands an absolute peach head kick. Other than them potential outcomes I don't see him winning, on evidence we've seen that Nate has enough pop on his trademark straight one-two combo's to badly stun Conor... we've also seen that Nate can deal with Conor on the ground. If it goes to decision I'd also say that Nate's cardio, high punch output & experience will give him the better chance of a points win because I doubt Conor can keep up to Nate's tempo but I'd be worried if it went to a decision if I was Nate though... "the golden boy" vs "the badboy"

Great minds think alike;)

I got lost with Johnson being technically great or something to that affect. Johnson is real good, real good, so is Conner, When you are getting cracked up by a guy "that doesn't hit as hard as you" shit gets unpleasant fast.

Nate has bulked up quite a bit more than normal for this fight - I wouldn't be surprised if his cardio takes a hit because of it ....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back