I enjoyed mma more when I knew nothing about ufc/Dana/fighter pay

Beejay Pin

Green porridge
Banned
Reaction score
Back when I was a filthy casual and rented DVDs and watched the odd ppv I think I liked it more than now that I know about the politics, for want of a better word.

Now when I can't sleep I read sherdog and read how scummy the owners are to fighters and all this other shit, it's pissed me off and made me dislike certain fighters.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Not really. I get taken out of a good mood when certain fighters lose but never emotionally invested in any of their crap.

It's like politics, they're going to dig up all the dirt. And these guys punch each other for a living, can't expect honest upstanding gentlemen.

I actually enjoy it more because of those reasons, when something happens it gives me a bunch of laughs seeing the nerds outraged about something that doesn't matter.

I enjoyed MMA better when it had some real PRIDE.

I agree to an extent.... I remember watching older events, when you really didn't know much about the fighters. It made them seem a lot more mysterious and savage.

Nowadays it's harder to be awed by these guys because they've got pictures of their smiling kids on Facebook, and they've got selfies of themselves doing laundry on Twitter.

Calling someone who's white 'white' is not racist.

Calling someone who's white 'white' is not racist.
Lol I don't mean that. More how Dana lies and denies everything, up until hours before an announcement.

Fighter pay and dorks arguing about how fighter x is a better draw like they own shares in the company or some shit. Seeing Rondas real character, wmma was already low on my radar and she's m ade me dislike it more until Holm saved us.

I was in your boat but now I ignore all the BS that is outside of fighting. I love MMA again. All that crap has nothing to do with me and I can do nothing to change. Why would I bother myself with it then? Watch the sport you love and ignore the negative crap. I understand not everyone can do this but I have always been able to compartmentalize things.

Lol I don't mean that. More how Dana lies and denies everything, up until hours before an announcement.

Fighter pay and dorks arguing about how fighter x is a better draw like they own shares in the company or some shit. Seeing Rondas real character, wmma was already low on my radar and she's m ade me dislike it more until Holm saved us.

I think threads got merged or something because I posted that in a Mark Hunt thread.

I remember first tuning in and thinking that these guys must have all been millionaires - all the toughest dudes on planet earth, and then found out it's like 10k for some. Took the sheen of it for sure. The more you learn about Dana the less you like him too

It was just the honeymoon phase, a flood of pleasing chemicals in your brain that has now settled. This is the moment when you realize if you are actually a fan of mma.. or not.

Back when I was a filthy casual and rented DVDs and watched the odd ppv I think I liked it more than now that I know about the politics, for want of a better word.

Now when I can't sleep I read sherdog and read how scummy the owners are to fighters and all this other shit, it's pissed me off and made me dislike certain fighters.

Anyone else in the same boat?

its amazing how much coverage is devoted to pay, contracts, and shit like "x deserves a title shot but its better for marketing reasons if y gets a shot. x can fight z and the winner can get a shot" and all that shit

I still enjoy it, but that's because I'm mature enough to understand that the fighters had the option of joining other organizations and didn't have to sign a contract for what you perceive to be unsatisfactory pay.

Back