Matt Serra - Conor is fighting at welterweight because he wants to have an excuse if he loses

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

He's right of course and Kenny Florian said the same thing to Nate when he didn't know that the cameras where on him.

Nate should come in at 157 as a preemptive strike.

Water is wet, sky is blue ...

The Featherweight champion is rematching the #5 ranked Lightweight .... at welterweight.

I believe it. He loses but at LW that really hurts his two title aspirations

b465d1d0f06615a56115a5835039ff4b.jpg

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for the other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."

Last edited:
I fully agree.

Plus i believe dana made frankie fight aldo and put an interim title on the line so frankie definitely wouldnt turn it down in the hope frankie would lose and take him out the equation. It worked and now if conor was to relinquish the belt he can because he already starched jose.

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or as close to) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for te other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but WW Nate would smoke him again."

He only fought at 170 the first time because he needed the excuse on speed-dial. Try and keep up/

Water is wet, sky is blue ...

The Featherweight champion is rematching the #5 ranked Lightweight .... at welterweight.
And then excuses were used....

By the loudest leprechaun with size 5 shoes.

I'm sure that wasn't his thought process. He's even said he was convinced by his teammates to take the fight at 155, only after the contract had been signed.

Pride thing.

WOW, who knew Matt Serra was Sherlok Holmes in disguise!!! he cracked da code guys

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for te other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."

Nobody on the planet fucking earth is gonna use that excuse. Nate is a 155er period. If he lost to a guy at 155 than he legitimately lost. It's just a boogeyman that Conor made up so he can fight 170 and have that built in excuse.

It worked for BJ Penn. Why not Conor?

He gets a pass, I suppose because nostalgia and stuff.

It is literally one of the reasons he is considered an all-time great...... because he moved up in weight a bunch of times and won a couple times. (In the UFC).

Sounds like Conor just wants to get that same status.

Or because he wants to avenge the loss under the same (or close to the same) circumstances as the first fight, beating Nate at 155 create an excuse for te other side, "Oh, he may have beat him at 155 but 'WW Nate' would smoke him again."
no, connie is just making a mockery out of himself with this fight

I agree with Serra for the most part. I think it does have a lot to do with ego and thinking that last time was a fluke but he's also covering his ass. That being said, lets not get it twisted, these are two LWs not cutting weight and that's it. This is a LW bout, just like the last one was. Conor is going to get smoked again, this time he won't have his 7 good minutes. It will be bad for him from the beginning.

He only fought at 170 the first time because he needed the excuse on speed-dial. Try and keep up/
They fought at 170 because

1. Conor wasn't trying to climb the LW rankings, the 155 title fight was already there for him
2. Nate had minimal prep

It's easy to pull an excuse out your ass, fighters don't need to dictate the terms of their fights a certain way to create one.

Back