Late career resurgences

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm gonna take two examples : Lawler and Arlovski. Both are "old" fighters in term of mileage. Lawler has been fighting since 2001 and Arlovski since 1999. That's quite some time ago folks.

Both have had tremendous improvements more than 10 years after their first pro fight. That's usually the time where your body start to feel punishment more significantly. In the case of Robbie -who is 27-10- he went on to defeat almost all top contenders of the division and is now the champion 15 years after his first pro fight...

Did you have a look at the power he was putting behind his shots against Carlos ?? In a 5 rounds fight ? I mean this guy is an animal...

Now i know fighters can improve, make adjustments in their training, diet etc etc.. But can someone explain to me these late career resurgences (or transformations) in a sport where so much punishment is endured by the body through time ? We, as fans who pay to see fights, can legitimately question ourselves about these kind of physical phenomenons... What you think guys?

567.jpg

Dan Henderson is about to fight for the title, if that's what you mean?

I think Robbie not sparring for 6 years attributed to his peaking so late into his career.

Arlovski... I have no idea. It's almost like his chin healed

Maybe they are developing some kind of fighter's strength alike farmer's strength.

Lawler and Arlovski are good examples of guys that are past their prime, but still doing good. Werdum and Hunt are other good examples. 2 explanations. Robbie works better at WW and it is just easier competition at the moment. All the best guys got old, and the younger guys are not as good. All guys mentioned were also always top 5-10 fighters.

well, I have something for you

giphy.gif

Randy couture...Ufc debut at 33 and hw world champion at 42.

Belforts have had several peaks and mark hunt didnt become a serious contender until a couple of yeara ago.

Holly holm?

In the golden age of MMA when steroids and HGH were rampant there were more examples. Now it's too hard

Back