Myth: MM isn't P4P because his competition is weak

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think when people mention this, they really have zero clue as to what they are talking about.

Breaking it down to skill, the lower the weight class...the more skilled the fighters have to be. This is the same in every combat sport. When it comes to boxing, wrestling, BJJ....the competitors are almost ALWAYS the most skilled out of all the weight classes.

Every single one of MM's opponents have had top tier wrestling: Cejudo the olympian, Dodson a 2x NM Wrestling State Champion, Benavidez, Baugitinov, McCall, and Moraga.

He's fought great Submission grapplers such as Dodson (Black belt), Cariaso (Brown belt and he submitted him), Baugitinov (International Master of Grappling, wrestling, and Sambo), Benavidez (10th degree red belt in JoeJitsu :), but nonetheless a great grappler), Ian Mcall (Purple Belt in BJJ)

He's fought good strikers as well, John Dodson (one of the top punchers in the UFC), Benavidez, McCall, Baugitinov (last guy to beat Lineker), Kyoji (Black belt in traditional striking), Miguel Torres

This shows just how well rounded his opposition has been

His opponents combined record winning percentage in the UFC have been about 80%, compared to Jon Jones's 75%, and GSP's 73% in their last 9 fights.

When it comes to 125, MM has beaten the cream of the crop opposition with outstanding records

The only reason people say MM's competition is weak, is because he hasn't struggled...which shows that he truly dominates his weight class. Everyone he has fought has been tough, with even a few guys like Dodson who KO'ed the former BW champ, and guys like Benavidez who fought Cruz twice and arguably beat him the first time. GSP's greatness is measured by his amazing reign and his championship mindset which people saw when he avanged his losses and came back in fights he was getting beat up in. Both GSP and Jones are put over MM because the opponents they beat had bigger names. That is really what it comes down to.

GSP beat greats like Diaz, Penn, Condit, etc... all big names, Jones...has beat some of MMA's all time greats. MM has beaten people know one knows, but that doesn't make his competition 'easy"

You can say he's boring, that he doesn't get your interest, but as a fan of the sport...it's incredibly disrespectful to discredit him.

Someone PLEASE try and refute this

Anderson competition was bad too. And he was. I always thought GSP should be though.

Mighty Mouse is to small to be GOAT.

Refuted.

division is lacking but besting Benivides and Dodson are p4p worthy

shout out to moraga aswell. i like that dude

Cruz is #1

Check the record bud.

Urijah's 1 finish > Dominicks 2 Decisions. Faber confirmed Number 2 P4P behind MM
i

It annoys me when people say the lower the weight the higher the skill, cant wait for those ultra skilled 15 lbers. Thats where true fans are.
ZZZZZZZZ everytime someone makes this argument.

you create techniques and skills based on your physical advantages

I didn't read any of that but it is arguable. It's possible that he's just that good but if you look at his competitors aside from Dodson they've had tough fights with other fighters where other divisions like Ferguson, Khabib, Frankie, Conor, Rockhold, Wiedman, Cormier, Gus, I think you get the point have dominant performances before having their title shots. Cejudo had close fights, Sajoto just had a tough fight before his finish, Cariaso has close fights regardless if he wins so I think in that aspect it can seem like the division is weak. It's kinda like the Rousey era where everyone aside from her against someone can be a close fight where other division have a clear cut top 5

It annoys me when people say the lower the weight the higher the skill, cant wait for those ultra skilled 15 lbers. Thats where true fans are.
ZZZZZZZZ everytime someone makes this argument.

you create techniques and skills based on your physical advantages

In the OP's dreamworld, midgets like Peter Dinklage are the most skilled people in the world.

Your perception of "skill" means nothing. The only thing that matters is who would win in a fight.

A bigger person would tool a little guy, that's why we have weight classes.

Small guys that are technically good and rely on footwork don't do well at bars and clubs where's there's little space, a lot of people around, and the girl who their talking too bf is 200 pounds and works out.

In the OP's dreamworld, midgets like Peter Dinklage are the most skilled people in the world.

Your perception of "skill" means nothing. The only thing that matters is who would win in a fight.

A bigger person would tool a little guy, that's why we have weight classes.
TRUTH has been spoken.

Agree that MM is fantastic, but reading that Benavidez 'arguably beat' Cruz the first time made me cringe

Back