Should Split Decisions In Title and #1 Contender Fights = Auto Rematch?

Ridian

Lifelong Combat Sports Fan
@purple
Reaction score
This would allow for, hopefully, a more definitive outcome to important fights. Sometimes a fight really is just too close or the judges are on crack or whatever so why not make a stipulation for ASAP, realistic, rematches when shit like that happens?

WTF you on about? If a fighter wins by split decision, its still a win. Rematches for titles need to stop.

I see what you are getting at, but IMO it would have to be case by case, since some split decisions are BS and should be unanimous.

So you are telling me you have never seen a fight where you were like WTF this needs another round or a rematch?

Yes, because if MMA needs anything, it's more rematches.

No it needs definitive outcomes to bullshit and/or horrible decisions

No. Some split decision fights suck.

I only want to see an immediate rematch if A) the outcome was legitimately controversial AND B) the fight was entertaining. If both criteria aren't met, then no thanks.

Not all split decisions are controversial. Sometimes you have to wonder WTF the other judge was watching.

Condit/Lawler would've been a legit immediate rematch fight.

Immediate rematches should happen in title fights REGARDLESS of the outcome.

No...

In certain circumstances, maybe. But as a general rule I say no. Like when GSP vs Penn l went down. A win is a win and it's up to the fighters to remove the judges from the equation. If you finish every fight or completely dominate ( 50 - 45, 30 - 27 ) there is no doubt.

Immediate rematches hold up the entire division for many months. We don't need that bullshit.

Of course not. Divisions stagnate enough as is; the last thing we need is an official policy for more rematches. What we do need, though, is to revamp the scoring system and get rid of bad judges.

Damn TS, you're getting Fkd on here harder than the U.S Government Fkd Bin Laden

If there's one thing the world needs its MORE RULES! RIGHT KIDS?

No, no, no, hell no. A SD loss in a title fight should put someone on the short list to the top (2 wins away). A SD loss in a contender fight sends you back to the middle of the pack.

Well we all know a different scoring system would be great, if someone could figure one out that works and all

SD only means 1 or 2 judges scored it wrong, it doesn't reflect the actual fight. A rematch should only be considered if the wrong guy got the win.

I feel immediate rematches should happen if the outcome of a match is controversial (questionable decision, early ref stoppage, injury, etc.)

Other than that, there are certain fighters that, when paired with each other, seem to make magic happen. I could watch Lawler/Macdonald fight 20 times in a row and doubt I would complain once (although that wouldn't be very healthy for either fighter).

Nah, a win is a win and then they should bring the next in line IMO.

Nope otherwise we'd still be watching Frankie fight Bendo for the 12th or some shit.

Just shitty rematches happen doesn't mean good ones shouldn't.

TS is suggesting autorematches for split decisions. That guarantees we'll be getting more shitty rematches.

Back