Scoggins will get the attention of DJ and Hume this Saturday night

Shotokan Dragon

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Wilson Reis is on the card as well, sure, but he was never a threat to DJ in the slightest. Looking up and down the flyweight ranks, there are really only two guys that can threaten DJ's reign: Horiguchi (is still very young, explosive and recently moved to an elite camp) and Justin Scoggins. I feel the latter has kind of flown under the radar a bit since that losing streak two years back. If you examine those losses further, he shouldn't have. For starters, most agree that Scoggins won the Ortiz fight. A majority of media outlets scored it for him, as did a vast majority of the fan voters. Those who tuned in for the Moraga fight know he was winning every second of it prior to the finish. Otherwise, he hasn't lost a single round in his career. He put on an MMA clinic in his last fight against Ray Borg.

I think he already matches up better against DJ than anyone in the division. His striking is extremely diverse and unpredictable; kicking-wise, he's one of the pound-for-pound best. His wrestling is also very good, both offensively and defensively. The sub loss to Moraga was a bit embarrassing, but he has consistently shown excellent guard-passing and control. He almost hit an armbar from guard against a good pressure grappler in Ortiz.

If Scoggins goes in there and beats Ian as decisively as he did Borg, it would be a huge statement. And, if I'm being honest here, I believe he's just scratching the surface.

Agreed TS. I think uncle creepy is a very good test, but Scoggins might need one more match up afterward before he gets a TS

Last edited:
It's funny how if you win one fight your in title contention at flyweight. They need to abandon that division and make them move up to bantamweight

It's funny how if you win one fight your in title contention at flyweight. They need to abandon that division and make them move up to bantamweight
They have like 35 flyweights on the roster lol. Those guys will always be one or two wins from a title shot.

Those who tuned in for the Moraga fight know he was winning every second of it prior to the finish.

His wrestling is also very good, both offensively and defensively. The sub loss to Moraga was a bit embarrassing, but he has consistently shown excellent guard-passing and control.

Did you even watch this fight? I'm a big fan of Scoggins but his fight against Moraga has to be one of the least intelligent performances I've ever seen. Dude spammed takedowns and was threatened with the guillotine for the practically the whole fight until he was finally caught. Scoggins rammed his head into a guillotine for about 7 minutes and finally got what he asked for.

Scoggins would probably beat Smolka & Reis but Mighty Mouse dominates them all, probably on the same night. Maybe even at the same time.

Scoggins has a sweet style. Uncle creepy can be a grinder though so he needs to get in Scoggins' face and land hard shots and probably take the fight to the mat. Could be a tough task to close the distance though.

That's a product of there only being about 30 flyweights. It's the same thing at HW-MW.

The difference is that the UFC tries to sign all top HW-MW that they can, while they don't care about signing all the flyweights, because fans care more about bigger fighters. My point is that Flyweight is actually deeper than HW and LHW and maybe MW, but just naturally less popular.

Mighty Mouse will pay attention to him... he could be his next easy payday.

I'm torn on this one. I thing think Scoggins has the most potential in the division, but I also like Ian.

Back