Don't count Woodley out, Matt friggin Brown went 5 rounds with lawler

D 1 Wrestler

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
woodley could very well wrestle his way to a decision and avoid enough damage on the feet to get the win

I'm amazed so many are picking Lawler everytime even though he's the split decision king.

Matt isn't an easy guy to KO, and Woodley has had quite a layoff

Matt's immortal so . . .

Matt isn't an easy guy to KO, and Woodley has had quite a layoff

Matt took very little damage through 4 rounds and he is a slow plodding stand up guy , woodley is sooo much quicker

Who knows.. Woodley ain't nothing special and Lawler is close to the limits.. split decisions and whatnot last all the damage and wear and tear can show up in any of his fights at this point.

WTF is this shit?

Matt Brown has never, in 34 professional fights, been finished via strikes.

I'm amazed so many are picking Lawler everytime even though he's the split decision king.

probably because woodley tends to fade the longer the fight goes, whereas lawler seems to gain momentum.

i'd favor woodley in a 3 round fight, but since this is 5, i'm going with lawler.

I honestly can see woodley out wrestling Robbie and winning the fight, but my biased opinion blocks that out pretty quickly. I hope Robbie turns woodley into the same highlight that Nate the great put him on.

Matt took very little damage through 4 rounds and he is a slow plodding stand up guy , woodley is sooo much quicker
Matt a slow plodding stand up guy?
I thought he was a fast paced, constant pressure brawler who breaks ppl on the feet.

I don't have confidence in Lawler, but I have even less confidence in Woodley.

Weird logic, using Matt Brown as an example of someone that should be put away easily.

I suspect Woodley hits harder than Matt Brown and Carlos Condit. Still, he looked shit against Rory. If he does win Thompson smashes him imo.

Matt Brown is a legit top contender at 170.

However, I do think people are sleeping on Woodley because they don't like him.

Matt a slow plodding stand up guy?
I thought he was a fast paced, constant pressure brawler who breaks ppl on the feet.

He's not physically fast, nit even close to sale quickness as Woodley

woodley could very well wrestle his way to a decision and avoid enough damage on the feet to get the win

1. Matt Brown and Woodley are radically different fighters. How in the world does Brown vs Lawler shed any light on Lawler-Woodley?

2. Woodley may in fact try to wrestle his way to a decision, but I don't think it will work well for him. Lawler's TDD isn't perfect, but it's very good, and he is good at getting back to his feet as well. He makes wrestlers work hard, and there is reason to doubt Woodley could successfully employ such a strategy for five rounds or even three.

3. Imo, Woodley's best bet is relying on his power to get the job done early.

1. Matt Brown and Woodley are radically different fighters. How in the world does Brown vs Lawler shed any light on Lawler-Woodley?

2. Woodley may in fact try to wrestle his way to a decision, but I don't think it will work well for him. Lawler's TDD isn't perfect, but it's very good, and he is good at getting back to his feet as well. He makes wrestlers work hard, and there is reason to doubt Woodley could successfully employ such a strategy for five rounds or even three.

3. Imo, Woodley's best bet is relying on his power to get the job done early.

My point was Matt brown is slow with poor defense and likes to brawl and took little damage for 4.5 rounds

Matt Brown is a legit top contender at 170.

However, I do think people are sleeping on Woodley because they don't like him.

There's been a spate of Woodley threads in the last few days and as the fight gets closer, I think people are giving him a decent shot at the upset. I think I agree with you that Woodley is a bit underrated, but Lawler is a tough match up for him imo.

Woodley was easily picked apart by Rory so people picking Lawler to beat him isn't all that crazy. He also hasn't fought in forever and his last match ended in a freak injury.

Lawler got beat by Condit and Hendricks in his last few fights, but the judges........................ :confused::confused::confused:

In saying that I do think he will beat Woodley though, Woodley does fade after 2nd round and he can be very tentative in the striking at times

Back