What happened to MMA in Canada?

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In 2009, it was like the biggest shit ever. According to Dana, MMA was bigger than hockey.

Now it just turned into another tiny fringe sport.....

In 2009, it was like the biggest shit ever. According to Dana, MMA was bigger than hockey.

Now it just turned into another tiny fringe sport.....

Trius needs to become a Canadian citizen.

Also, UFC moved from Sportsnet, a channel which most people get to TSN5 which I'm not sure is even a real thing.

I wouldnt say MMA died like in Japan, but is less popular than even kickboxing

its never been bigger than hockey

hockey is like MMA on ice with the occasional interlude of a hockey game

GSP retiring and a real lack of Canadian talent.

The next guys coming up aren't very exciting or dominant

Also, UFC moved from Sportsnet, a channel which most people get to TSN5 which I'm not sure is even a real thing.
Is that really a reason? Don't most homes have TSN? Also, the UFC usually airs on TSN 2.

George retired and Dana got mad, that pretty much killed the Canadian MMA scene.

GSP killed all the Molson

Sportsnet used to promote the shit out of it, and treated it with respect. Now TSN has it, and it's barely advertised and treated lower than Lacrosse.

There are no Canadian stars and Canadians are racist, because this what everybody under the age of 25 seems to think what racist means.

GSP retired, they did everything they could to get Rory as the champ and Robbie Lawler said FUCK NO. No major Canadian stars, no Canadian MMA. wont sell out the house like GSP did.

There are no Canadian stars and Canadians are racist, because this what everybody under the age of 25 seems to think what racist means.

Adonis Stevenson still packs the house, but maybe its all >25 year old hipsters. <1>

GSP retiring and a real lack of Canadian talent.

The next guys coming up aren't very exciting or dominant

Is that really a reason? Don't most homes have TSN? Also, the UFC usually airs on TSN 2.

Most times I have looked the cards are on TSN 4 or 5. I don't get those channels and I won't. I think I saw one on TSN 2, but to be honest I've stopped paying attention.

Not having access to many cards has certainly been a contributing factor to my diminishing interest in the sport. I used to watch everything, now I stream some ppvs.

Back