Holly Holm opens up about her loss to Valentina Shevchenko.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
"Coming off a loss, all you want, I think, is just to get back in there, but here we are again. I think that I just need to take whatever opportunity comes. I still feel that way. A lot of people are asking about taking a fight (instead of waiting to rematch Rousey), but I don’t want to be known for one great fight. I don’t want to be known for a few great fights. I want to be known for doing a lot. I don’t want to be content with one performance. I want to do more.”

“I can’t say that I was surprised by anything. I just didn’t perform to the best of my ability and I didn’t leave it all out there, I had more to give for sure. I knew it was a close fight, but I knew I had to do more. I don’t ever want it to be a close fight. I don’t ever want it to be like that.

I’m just angry, that’s all, who wants two losses in a row? But what can you do? … It’s still onward up, it’s still forward."

http://mmajunkie.com/?p=203989

She just said that she doesn't want to be like Nick, someone who had some exciting fights but never beat a top 15 WW.

Before you say anything, I'm not sure if Lawler was but I doubt.

Her striking offense needs works. She's a great counter striker. Has great kicks. But her offense just sucks. If she can't launch a good offense she won't be able to get anything going.

Funny how some fighters can't escape a big win; she isn't Serra, more JDS, or maybe Miocic. Time will tell.

This was a tough fight for Holm because Shevchenko had the speed advantage and a more diverse skillset. Holm's best gameplan was to use her size and try to bully Shevchenko against the cage and turn it into a grueling, dirty fight. Although she attempted this a few times, it never really worked. So she tried to fight where Shevchenko had the advantage and lost.

Talent aside...I hope I can have a piece of Holly's general character and outlook in my own life. Truthfully.

I'll be honest - Apart from the fight with RR, Holm has looked rather pedestrian in her previous Octagon performances.

Split decision win, and a rather uninspired decision win against a mid level fighter.

She looked amazing against Ronda and very good against Tate, but she seems very inconsistent.

I like it, whether she wins or loses Holly is all class. Look forward to her next fight.

I'll be honest - Apart from the fight with RR, Holm has looked rather pedestrian in her previous Octagon performances.

Split decision win, and a rather uninspired decision win against a mid level fighter.

She looked amazing against Ronda and very good against Tate, but she seems very inconsistent.

Yeah, that's true. If you think about it, she really only has 1 good performance in all of her octagon appearances. The others were "Highly Questionable". Hell, even Rocky almost got one on her.

This was a tough fight for Holm because Shevchenko had the speed advantage and a more diverse skillset. Holm's best gameplan was to use her size and try to bully Shevchenko against the cage and turn it into a grueling, dirty fight. Although she attempted this a few times, it never really worked. So she tried to fight where Shevchenko had the advantage and lost.

I felt she also should've went more flat footed, closed the distance and let her hands go more. She hurt Shevenko early and should've went back to it. Maybe she would've caught some leg kicks, but I think she was versed enough in kickboxing to minimize damage.

She just said that she doesn't want to be like Nick, someone who had some exciting fights but never beat a top 15 WW.

Before you say anything, I'm not sure if Lawler was but I doubt.
Nick beat the #1 fighter in the world Gomi, silly newb

holly+holm.jpg

Ever since Jones traded in the narcotics for the juice, that gym is falling apart. But seriously, I love how honest and determined she always is. She doesn't make excuses and is always in the gym the next day, working on exactly what went wrong in her last fight. I agree that she needs to work on offensive stand-up. Constantly back-pedaling has always been her downfall. That's why the Ronda fight went so well.

I think Holm can still beat anyone in the division on any given night. I think she just needs to calm down a bit, she gave me an adrenaline dump just watching her run and pace around the cage before the fight even started. I think her fame has brought pressure on her to take the fight to opponents and not lay back as much and counterpunch. It's similar to what happened with Chuck imo.

Do you even know what a WW is.

Beating fighters who are not even close to your size doesn't mean shit.

That was prides equivalent to WW. Pride welterweight was 183 pounds. You are hating hard bringing someone up who isn't even in this conversation.

I felt she also should've went more flat footed, closed the distance and let her hands go more. She hurt Shevenko early and should've went back to it. Maybe she would've caught some leg kicks, but I think she was versed enough in kickboxing to minimize damage.

She has takedown phobia and therefore clinch phobia and that prevents her from being more aggressive. Her coaches were calling for her to launch from closer in and use more combos but that exposes you to clinches. She should compromise by getting more aggressive in the last 2 minutes of each round and realizing that - in a 5 round fight - a takedown is not the end of the world. Valentina wasn't really a submission threat.

Back