Why aren't black eyes more common in MMA?

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Despite getting kicked and punched in the face for a living, its been a long while since I've seen a fighter with a proper shiner. It's usually just cuts, swelling and the occasional bruise around the face but hardly ever a black eye. I wonder why they're so uncommon in MMA, but people seems to always walk away with one of them in street fights.

I'd imagine the gloves and higher level striking defense play a role. Also, many fighters have black eyes the next day and post them on social media.

I've seen more brown eyes in my time in MMA.

It takes a few hours before the black eyes develop. Most fighters get them we just don't see them, have you never had a black eye before?

Because next day
giphy.gif

Doesn't the enswell they apply to the fighters during the fight help prohibit it?

Last edited:
They all wear make-up.
I haven't seen a black eye since Rich Franklin

Holy shit I thought eyes was a typo for guys. Wow.

I collided heads with someone while I was playing football years ago. I had a massive hematoma above my immediately. It took the whole evening and next morning until the blood drained until my eye and closed it.

Doesn't the endswell they apply to the fighters during the fight help prohibit it?
You're not serious are you? EVERY fighter gets black eyes we just don't see it. This is an mma forum how can people not know how black eyes work? They don't instantly appear like in cartoons.

Despite getting kicked and punched in the face for a living, its been a long while since I've seen a fighter with a proper shiner. It's usually just cuts, swelling and the occasional bruise around the face but hardly ever a black eye. I wonder why they're so uncommon in MMA, but people seems to always walk away with one of them in street fights.

Black eyes come the day after the fact. Follow some fighters on twitter/instagram and you will witness many black eyes the day after they fought.

Jon Jones gave the entire sport a huge black eye.

when i broke my nose, it bled a lot and that was it, then i went to bed. the next day, i woke up and both my eyes were completely black and swollen.

Rich Franklin's permanent black eye makes up for the lack of black eyes.

Back