the Brock = Shaq analogy

Vergilius

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
People on this forum often claim that MMA athletes are "unskilled" compared to their brethren in NBA or NFL and quite often Brock is used as an example of MMA being inferior. I mean, a 30+ athlete becoming champion within his first 4 fights - that's a damning indictment right?

Wrong.

Brock in MMA can be likened to guys like Shaq, Wilt Chamberlain or DeAndre Jordan in the NBA (or any defensive block of meat in the NFL): like Shaq, he's a guy with a very limited skillset (wrestling for Brock, postgame for Shaq) whose physical advantages just happen to be so big that he doesn't need anything else - he can just impose what he's good at and most opponents will be helpless. There are guys on the street who are better shooters or handlers than Shaq and there are guys in your local dojo who are better strikers than Brock - but very few who have go physcial advantages like them. If Brock was 40 pounds lighter or Shaq a foot shorter both would have gone nowhere in their sports.

Agreed?

I guess that makes BJ Penn the Alan Iverson of MMA...

I dont think that saying that if Brock were smaller matters. He isnt smaller,and he fights like he does because he can. If he were smaller,he'd fight differently,be forced to develop different skills. So what if he has physical advantages,most guys would give their left nut to get those. I dont think it should be something held against him for some reason. Its still something that his opponents have to deal with nonetheless.

Shaq actually had a well rounded game besides free throws/jump shooting obviously.

Wilt was a great passer, also he slept with five women a day for nearly 30 years so he has all kinds of skill.

I'll give you DeAndre Jordan though

I dont think that saying that if Brock were smaller matters. He isnt smaller,and he fights like he does because he can. If he were smaller,he'd fight differently,be forced to develop different skills. So what if he has physical advantages,most guys would give their left nut to get those. I dont think it should be something held against him for some reason. Its still something that his opponents have to deal with nonetheless.

Brock likely did lose some of his nuts to get that big. Somebody got into the growth hormone jar back on the farm.

Let's see some photos of Brock's brothers Troy and Chad, and his dad, and let's get a a good look at this genetic superiority.

Brock likely did lose some of his nuts to get that big. Somebody got into the growth hormone jar back on the farm.

Let's see some photos of Brock's brothers Troy and Chad, and his dad, and let's get a a good look at this genetic superiority.

My theory is he tripped in fell on to the trenbolone syringe meant to be injected into the steers.

Shaq actually had a well rounded game besides free throws/jump shooting obviously.

Wilt was a great passer, also he slept with five women a day for nearly 30 years so he has all kinds of skill.

I'll give you DeAndre Jordan though

I don't see any great skillz in that video - I see a big man who can move, which is what we say about Brock. Shaq was great at what he did, I'm not knocking him - if Lesnar had arrived in the UFC at 21 he might have become a true legend like Shaq in MMA. Still think the analogy works (even if it isn't perfect) - Brock's got great wrestling, rudimentary striking, average distance control and a bit of bjj, Shaq had great postgame, average defense, rudimentary shooting and average handle (I'll admit he was also good at passing out of the post).

I pretty much dismiss anything ever said after a person uses the the word " The " before a person's name.

I pretty much dismiss anything ever said after a person uses the the word " The " before a person's name.

lol, just neglected to put in "". The "Brock = Shaq" analogy. Happy now?

No .... he was tested before his fights ....... only in his resent fight he was positive on estrogen blockers.
He's now in the WWE "wellness program," which means he's a repeat offender. You don't enter the "wellness program" (work pressued rehab) after just failing one drug test. Brock has a problem.

It would seem to me that a huge exceptional athlete WOULD do better at MMA,a sport that allows grappling,and could go farther with less experience than in,say boxing. I mean if you consider brock to be all athleticism and no skill,he still won an NCAA championship. Does this mean that UFC sucks? Does this mean that amateur wrestling sucks? No.

I guess that makes BJ Penn the Alan Iverson of MMA...

Damn it, you guys took too long.

Here you go

Practice.jpg

He's now in the WWE "wellness program," which means he's a repeat offender. You don't enter the "wellness program" (work pressued rehab) after just failing one drug test. Brock has a problem.

Was referring to his tests under Zuffa / Dana and the Fertitta bros , but true on your point about the bogus WWE Wellness Program.

Back