Was the TUF 1 Finale that Important

Paineater

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I go through Youtube and watch old fights, and tonight I revisited the Forrest vs. Stephan TUF 1 Finale, and it has commentation from Rogan, the Ferttitas, Dana and other notables, and they go on to say that this was exactly the fight that the UFC needed to get on the map. If that is the case, what would have happened if Forrest or Stephan knocked the other guy out in the first round, and we didn't get the barnburner for three rounds? I still think the UFC would get where it is at today, but maybe would take a little longer to draw in mainstream crowds. It sure was not a technical BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai fight, but it was entertaining!

I think it was pretty important that it was a good fight. If GSP for instance was on it we may be 10 years behind.

It was the most exposure that the UFC had ever experienced at that time, a lot of eyes watching so they didn't need an all out brawl but definitely needed a good fight to pique interests.

I think it was pretty important that it was a good fight. If GSP for instance was on it we may be 10 years behind.
Not sure if you're joking or not but I agree. That was the fight they needed to close TUF out and really pull themselves into the spotlight. I'm not saying it had to be Griffin and Bonnar to do it but that performance in that showcase was detrimental to the speedy growth the UFC achieved.

It was a HUGE help. I remember exactly at that time and how things were going quality wise. I can't speak for the UFC financially obviously but from how popular it was getting and how good the fights were and the buzz etc. TUF 1 was not the sole reason for success and IMO wasn't necessarily needed to reach where it is now. But TUF was a big shot in the ass for sure because everyone was talking about it. The cards previous and after were all good anyway though so as far as interest it was going to make it no matter what i feel. Financially? That's another story.

Also the steps they took to counter the cock fighting talk with a professional sports rule set for sure helped them long term. So that was smart.

Fuck yeah! TV was fucking lame that night before I saw those two goons throwing down lol.

not sure how many of you guys were around following mma back then, but the buzz and watercooler talk that fight created was insane. I really cant remember another time so many people, outside the mma community, were talking about a MMA fight.

No doubt that fight put the UFC on a bigger stage.

I have been a fan since day one but that show and fight helped put MMA on the map. To even ask that question is absurd.

Well, I have been watching the UFC since it started. And I can tell you that this fight was the most exciting fight I have seen compared to everything previous.

And please let me know if I missed a better fight in the pre years.

It all just seemed to work out.

Remember "tuf noob"? TUF sure brought in lots of fans.

Yes. It's Why you're here and able to ask dumb questions like this, TS.

Before TUF 1 I was watching old VHS pride and UFC tapes or waiting 3 months after an event came out to purchase the DVD copy, it was the turning point for the ufc

If TUF season 1 was Nate rocking Conor on the feet, the Finale was Nate sinking in the rear naked choke. Maybe. Or something.

We used to have a little rec center in the neighborhood I used to live in, and I remember one day I put the International Fight League on the TV to watch while I was jogging. 2 of the guys on the treadmills next to me kept commenting on how "gay" and "boring" it looked during a grappling heavy match. If Griffin and Bonnar would have had a match where they laid on top of one another, I doubt MMA would have blown up as fast as it did.

It was definitely the fight that had the biggest impact on new sherdog registrations.

If GSP for instance was on it we may be 10 years behind.

Agreed.

If GSP was headlining that card, the UFC would be dead in the water.

And most likely be sold for a loss.

Back