Anyone know if Edson spars primarily with boxing gloves?

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score
I was watching a few of his fights
Defensively he's decent technically, but he gets caught almost every fight especially straight through the guard and around the outsides
This used to be a big problem with strikers in MMA (see Overeem), because they were used to sparring with 16oz gloves on where the defensive holes are a lot smaller

Anyone have good sparring footage, or have any insight from his training camps? His boxing is improving both offensively and defensively, but Gilbert caught him when he was using a high guard - and he caught him right around the outsides of his forearms

Interesting question. You suggesting he should parry more (aside from the obvious suggestion of sparring with MMA gloves from time to time)?

The way he gets dropped is almost identical each time which I find interesting.
108aa93ca196557280edff2ef9bad7ea.gif

1-21.gif

You can spar with whatever you want, come fight night the gloves will be small and won't protect you that much.

I saw him in the countdown show wearing small gloves.

I don't know what kind of gloves he spars with but I do know he uses one of your sisters tits as a speed bag lmao

Fighters train with boxing gloves all the time and I don't know why.

So they can hit harder and condition their arms... as well as not get knocked the fuck out by 4oz or break their hands.

Why would you train with 4oz gloves is the question...

EDIT: On that note, why do you think boxers train with 18-20 oz gloves lol?

Well, it must factor into the reason. If fighters frequently used 4oz gloves, there'd be a lot more KOs in the gym, which nobody wants, unless you're Hector Lombard.

It's a factor, but it's also done for conditioning reasons and punching reasons.

Judging from those gifs the op may not vividly remember how those knockdowns came about. He appears to be wide open in these 2 gifs above and Cowboy dropped him with a jab.

Barboza just has poor defense period.

Fighters spar with boxing gloves.

And straight through the guard isn't a boxing gloves problem because boxers can't block straight punches without parrying them. Unless, you do like foreman and cross your arms.

You spar with boxing gloves unless it is light sparring only.

So they can hit harder and condition their arms... as well as not get knocked the fuck out by 4oz or break their hands.

Why would you train with 4oz gloves is the question...

EDIT: On that note, why do you think boxers train with 18-20 oz gloves lol?

I actually thought it was pretty smart of mcgregor on tuf having his team train with the ufc gloves so they could actively look for opening and recreate fight situations more accurately. I didnt watch the whole season though, only saw a bit, so i dunno how that all worked out.

He's just never taken a shot well he's always in danger of getting clipped and going down when he's in boxing range

I actually thought it was pretty smart of mcgregor on tuf having his team train with the ufc gloves so they could actively look for opening and recreate fight situations more accurately. I didnt watch the whole season though, only saw a bit, so i dunno how that all worked out.

It's not a terrible idea IMO considering the length of time they were in the house. I didn't watch the TUF either. But in a traditional and general sense, it's much much more safer and beneficial to train with heavier gloves. 4oz are good for exactly what McGregor did, recreating fight situations, finding openings, working on defence and light sparring. But these are factors still are not ideal compared to the factors that come with training with bigger gloves, which include conditioning your hands, hand speed, conditioning your arms, punching harder and working harder to find openings.

This is all my personal opinion, I'm not an expert but I do have experience within the field.

Back