Why Holm Looked So Good Against Rousey and So Bad Against Everyone Else

platypus44

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
1. Holm beat Rousey who had succesfully defended her title 5 (really 7) times and totally dominated the fight.
2. Holm eked out a split decision against Pennington who had lost to the likes of Leslie Smith and Andrade.
3. Then Holm loses to Tate and Shevchenko.
4. Holm started MMA in 2011 but really picked up steam in 2013 just after the UFC accepted women and it became clear that there would be much more money in MMA than in boxing.
5. Holm trained for 2 1/2 years specifically to fight Rousey. She had a "Ronda Rousey" clause in her contract.
6. To fight Rousey, Holm had to - 1. avoid clinch takedowns, 2. avoid armbars, and 3. maintain distance and make Rousey pay a heavy price for trying to close distance.
7. She did not train to 1. defend shoot takedowns, 2. pursue aggressive striking, 3. fight southpaws, or 4. fight against Muay Thai pros.
8. Against Tate and Shevchenko she had about 2 months to prepare as compared to 2 1/2 years to prepare for Rousey.
9. It didn't help that her team was probably distracted by the Jon Jones mess just before the fight.

Holly "ish ish" Holm is a decision, point fighter. She is not exciting to watch and fights very tentative, Ronda was just dumb enough to fall into her strenghts, which is counterpunching. Holm may as well lose her next fights, i won't be surprised. I'm not hating on her but it is what i see

1. Holm beat Rousey who had succesfully defended her title 5 (really 7) times and totally dominated the fight.
2. Holm eked out a split decision against Pennington who had lost to the likes of Leslie Smith and Andrade.
3. Then Holm loses to Tate and Shevchenko.
4. Holm started MMA in 2011 but really picked up steam in 2013 just after the UFC accepted women and it became clear that there would be much more money in MMA than in boxing.
5. Holm trained for 2 1/2 years specifically to fight Rousey. She had a "Ronda Rousey" clause in her contract.
6. To fight Rousey, Holm had to - 1. avoid clinch takedowns, 2. avoid armbars, and 3. maintain distance and make Rousey pay a heavy price for trying to close distance.
7. She did not train to 1. defend shoot takedowns, 2. pursue aggressive striking, 3. fight southpaws, or 4. fight against Muay Thai pros.
8. Against Tate and Shevchenko she had about 2 months to prepare as compared to 2 1/2 years to prepare for Rousey.
9. It didn't help that her team was probably distracted by the Jon Jones mess just before the fight.

tldr 2 1/2 years prepared holm is goat

Whats with the Ronda fans coming out of the wood works to bash Holly now, lol...

She's probably the safest fighter in the roster. Makes other fighters' boring fights look like barn burners.

Her ground game is probably one of the worst too. I thought she was going to get finished the second it went to the ground. She looked pretty defeated when she couldn't get off her back.

If Ronda could shoot TDs from the outside like Tate it would have made Holly's gameplan much more difficult. It's amazing how much simple skillsets can negate others.

Holly "ish ish" Holm is a decision, point fighter. She is not exciting to watch and fights very tentative, Ronda was just dumb enough to fall into her strenghts, which is counterpunching. Holm may as well lose her next fights, i won't be surprised
Ronda wasn't "dumb" she hasn't any other tools than the ones she used.
For a rematch she "simply" needs to step up her toolbox so that she can approach a fight in different ways depending on her opponent.
The same could be said for Holly herself but she has the advantage that her one style is perfect for Ronda and that Ronda's one style is horrible for fighting Holm

NOT an off night. Rousey was just tailor made for Holm's boxing. Just charging in like a bull getting countered for fun. NO Plan B, not being able to adapt & change style. Really needed to get it to the ground if she was to win.

Holly "ish ish" Holm is a decision, point fighter. She is not exciting to watch and fights very tentative, Ronda was just dumb enough to fall into her strenghts, which is counterpunching. Holm may as well lose her next fights, i won't be surprised. I'm not hating on her but it is what i see

Holm is hardly a counter striker IMO. She is more of a pressure fighter.

I think its simply that Ronda was a much bigger fight that they had been preparing a while for. They learned what Ronda used to initiate ground techniques and knew that her striking would be her downfall.

I am not bashing Holly but I think that what is happening in WMMA is that style issues are so important and many of the fighters are not really well rounded so that prep focused on a specific opponent becomes an enormous advantage.

nothing makes me happier than watching "ish ish sidekick" lose

I still think holm is better than Tate tho and would beat her 7/10 times

Holm is hardly a counter striker IMO. She is more of a pressure fighter.

I think its simply that Ronda was a much bigger fight that they had been preparing a while for. They learned what Ronda used to initiate ground techniques and knew that her striking would be her downfall.

Holly's style in boxing was stick and clinch; in MMA it became stick and run because she was not anxious to get into clinches. But she is more of a blitz in, through a combo and scoot away fighter than a counterstriker.
Against Rousey it was not enough to win at striking. She had to defend 4 clinches and avoid an armbar when she was on the ground. She was trained over and over and over again on how to do this.

Like others said, Holm was made for neutralizing her. Rondas standup is worse than a tae bo soccer moms and has no emotional self control. Holm comes from Jacksons where all they teach is control and gameplans and shes a boxing prodigy. All she really needed was to avoid takedowns which is what she probably practiced for the most part.
With her other opponents its more difficult because they are far more rounded and in control and dont rush her so insanely with such a big hole that she can exploit. Ronda might beat them but for Holm its more of a problem.

Last edited:
Holly did well against Ronda because Ronda fought like an idiot. Ronda thought she was a KO artist after the Bethe fight and it messed up her focus. An earlier Ronda probably beats Holly because she knows her path to victory is to get it to the ground not try to box with a boxer.

It's because Ronda is overrated and the rest of these girls caught up to her.

I'm not bashing right now that's just how I see it. Ronda is the female equivalent of Mark Kerr.

There's nothing wrong with that either. She grew an entire division and put women's mma on the map. While she stayed the same and got involved in movies though, the rest of these girls learned to strike, avoid takedowns and improved their ground games.

Ronda in her next fight will still come straight ahead with one punch at a time and then look to clinch and look for judo throws. These girls now know not to bull rush her, to pick her apart from the outside, and if they do get taken down I'm confident that most of them can survive on their backs.

Props to ronda for growing the sport, but the blueprint is out there on how to beat her.

Edmund really is a bozo who has no idea.

Mate r u fishing for "usada" answer?

Back