Lioness not interested in giving Shevchenko a rematch at the current time

Concrete Whale

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/amanda-nunes-reacts-to-valentina-shevchenko-vs-holly-holm/

FotorCreated-53-640x360.jpg

‘The Bullet’ was on form, bouncing back from her UFC 196 loss to Nunes with a convincing five round decision over Holm. What was even more surprising was that Shevchenko bossed the fight in the stand up against the former boxing and kickboxing world champion. Although the fight may have lacked the sheer entertainment factor, the result holds a lot of weight in terms of the title picture. Well, at least you’d think so.

USATSI_9398853_168382968_lowres.jpg

Although victorious over the former champ, the current queen Amanda Nunes isn’t sold on Shevchenko’s rights to a title fight. Check out ‘The Lioness’ on Twitter last night, claiming ‘The Bullet’ should fight Julianna Pena to decide the next contender at 135:

I feel she needs to prove herself a little more. I think @VenezuelanVixen vs @BulletValentina. Winner comes to me

— Amanda Nunes (@Amanda_Leoa) July 24, 2016

@imossyousomich @BulletValentina Scared of what exactly?

— Amanda Nunes (@Amanda_Leoa) July 24, 2016

So by the sounds of it Amanda Nunes either has another opponent in mind, or is happy to wait for another fight to take place before defending her title. Is the potential of a Ronda Rousey comeback in 2016 playing on Nunes’ mind? By all accounts that’s looking a little unlikely, and the rest of the top 10 contenders at women’s bantamweight are either tied up, coming off losses or simply undeserving of a title shot at this stage.

---

Nunes did beat the Bullet with a lacklustre decision in March, so she has that justification for waiting on this rematch. But I don't think she wants any of what Holly Holm got last night, Shevchenko looked like a clinical KGB executioner in there and has her eyes firmly on winning that rematch and getting the belt. She's 6-1 since 2010 and 2-1 in the UFC where she's been getting all hardcore opponents. She's been improving quickly and wants that lioness's head up on her trophy wall. Nunes is happy to take her belt skateboarding and stay out of the octagon for the time being it looks like.

It's cute that Nunes thinks she has a say in this.

UFC has to crack the whip whenever the fighters get uppity and start thinking they control the matchups. We don't want this sport to turn into boxing.

Of course not. Valentina gave her a pretty decent fight even being incredibly tentative for 2 rds.

Just rewatched their fight, outside of the groundwork in round 2, Nunes didn't have much against Shev.

I'd say she beats her in a 5 rounder.

I feel she needs to prove herself a little more.

--Valentina Shevchenko

This is what Meisha said about the
Holm rematch when she was on top.

Pena is a funner stylistic match up
anyways, imo. Shevchenko ain't
going anywhere. Plus, a highlight
win would only help her.

Honestly, I think the UFC needs to
just sack up & sign on Evinger.
She could make noise.

It's cute that Nunes thinks she has a say in this.

She does(not that I agree with that). Every champ pretty much picks and chooses who they prefer to fight for the most part. It's always been like that. I mean look at Bisping he got what he wanted in a rematch with Dan. Fighters have plenty of say in who they fight.

She does(not that I agree with that). Every champ pretty much picks and chooses who they prefer to fight for the most part. It's always been like that. I mean look at Bisping he got what he wanted in a rematch with Dan. Fighters have plenty of say in who they fight.
If you are just choosing who you prefer, you're not really choosing. :scratcheshead

Ronda gets first crack if Ronda wants MSG then Ronda gets a shot at UFC 205

To an extent and it depends on who it is.

If you are just choosing who you prefer, you're not really choosing. :scratcheshead

You basically said she has no say in who she fights. That's false pure and simple, no need to act like a smart ass about it. :shrugs:

Back