Why is Josh Barnett favored over Andrei Arlovski?

jrleclerc88

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Just checked the odds and Arlovski is +140, to me that seems backwards. I realize Arlovski's chin is questionable but I wouldn't rate Barnett's any better at this point. Arlovski knocked out Browne a year ago, that alone should put him as favored imo.

Arlovskis last UFC run:
- Split over Schaub (controversial)
- KO'd Bigfoot (PED free)
- KO'd Travis (almost got KO'd himself)
- Lackluster win over Mir
- KO'd by Stipe and Overeem

+140 isn't a big underdog and it's possible that he could be the favorite by fight time

Barnett:
- put away Mir in first
- finished by Travis
- beat the s out of Nelson
- lost to Ben but Josh was looking good in that fight

i kinda see why Josh is a favourite

Barnett:
- put away Mir in first
- finished by Travis
- beat the s out of Nelson
- lost to Ben but Josh was looking good in that fight

i kinda see why Josh is a favourite
Arlovskis last UFC run:

None of that has anything to do with the stylistic advantage that Arlovski has over Barnett. AA's striking defense will always be a problem but he's a better striker than Barnett and statistically has some of the best TDD in the HW division.

Arlovskis last UFC run:

That's my point... Arlovski lost to the current champ and the #1 contender, before that he beat mir, browne, silva, and schaub (I believe they were all at least top 10 at the time). Anything can happen but I think he should have started as the favorite.

Barnett Takedowns are quite weak and AA I believe has one of the best TDD. It will be a complete standup fight that favors Arloski very heavily unless he becomes tentative again and his chin gives out

The real question is why are they headlining over Gus? :eek:

Arvloski is horribly inconsistent and his chin is shit, Barnett has seen better days but he has more ways to win

I'm thinking it's because Arlovski has been put to bed like, a bunch of times, including in his past 2.

I agree because Arlovski is very solid from the clinch which is where Josh does a lot of his work sometimes. I could see AA stifling him there and taking over with his boxing and winning a tko or decision.

I'd say if nothing else that Josh has been more consistent. AA seems to run hot or cold for the duration of a couple fights.

I am flipping a coin to pick this one

I have Barnett winning this too, might take a while, but it will happen

Barnett Takedowns are quite weak and AA I believe has one of the best TDD. It will be a complete standup fight that favors Arloski very heavily unless he becomes tentative again and his chin gives out
True that but if Josh gets him down he's not getting back up until the round ends

I will never understand why Arlovski has gotten a rep for a glass chin. The guy has been knocked out by Fedor, Rogers, Overeem, Kharitonov and Rizzo. You know many fighters who eat shots from those guys without going to sleep?

Actually thats not true. I do understand. its because people are dumb.

Back