Why was Edson Barboza letting Melendez of the hook in the last 2 minutes?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
In the last round, Gil's legs were totally done, but Barboza refused to finish him. I only one or two more leg kicks would end it.

Don't get me wrong, Barboza looked really sharp as always, but i think if you wanna be a serious contender, you should put the stamp on it if you can.

Is Edson just a really nice guy that just sees this more as competition rather than a fight?

I hope he wins the belt next year.

He hasn't got a great chin.

Gil rocked him in the first and second so he didn't want to risk getting caught.

Gil could have finished him in the second, no idea why he shot for the takedown.

"Cause he sucks! He sucks just like Fedor sucks. He sucks just like Wanderlei sucks!" - Chael Sonnen

He knew he had a decision in the bag so took his foot off the gas. Melendez didn't do much at all in rd 3 either but at least he had an excuse in that he was pretty much done in by those leg kicks. Both just wanted to go to a decision.

That's one of the things that bugs me about the 10pt system. People criticize Pride's scoring sometimes saying too much emphasis was on the last round. Well, isn't that how a real fight would be? It's who is best left standing at the end not at the beginning. Instead we have a points fighting system where guys are content to go the distance then yell bloody murder if they feel they got robbed of a decision.

This one was a real good fight for 2 rounds . They could have just ended it right there for all Barboza and Melendez seemed to care That's why people started booing.

because he is a point fighter and almost got knocked out the round before

It could have been out of respect but Gilbert was getting to his chin.

Barboza is nasty but you can see he still.panicks when he gets hit.
I thought the fight was close and barboza should have gotten the Dec.

Gil had his chance when he hurt Edson before his leg was ruined but he locked up and let the opportunity slip away.
He forced alot of boxing exchanges too but credit barboza . And credit to Gilbert for finishing the fight. Man those L ow and switch kicks are brutal.
I Love to watch both of these guys.

Because you touch yourself at night.

Edson has a weak chin. He already got caught. Didn't want to risk getting dropped.

Love his style but this is the 3rd time he's circled the octagon for minutes to avoid engaging. Then throws hands up with 5 seconds left and looks around because the bell hasn't rang.

He knew he had a decision in the bag so took his foot off the gas. Melendez didn't do much at all in rd 3 either but at least he had an excuse in that he was pretty much done in by those leg kicks. Both just wanted to go to a decision.

That's one of the things that bugs me about the 10pt system. People criticize Pride's scoring sometimes saying too much emphasis was on the last round. Well, isn't that how a real fight would be? It's who is best left standing at the end not at the beginning. Instead we have a points fighting system where guys are content to go the distance then yell bloody murder if they feel they got robbed of a decision.

This one was a real good fight for 2 rounds . They could have just ended it right there for all Barboza and Melendez seemed to care That's why people started booing.

People who dog on pride you pretty much have to hold their opinion low on all things mma.
It was the perfect rules ,scoring and had a ring all of these things allowed for all around better fighting, it's not even debatable. and you were punished for stalling.

because he is a point fighter and almost got knocked out the round before
Not sure if point fighter or just fought really tough guys. Pettis and Melendez took some punishment. I don't think Barboza is interested in actually killing his opponents.

He was easily winning the fight and his chin is suspect so why risk it

Back