Best and Worst MMA Promotion you have encountered?

panzer723

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which is the best and the worst mma promotion you have encountered,watched or experienced?

From the past up to now?

199 was pretty good. Then 200 to follow up sucked b sack

Zuffa UFC. The best and the worst I've ever seen.

But I imagine their are some pretty fly by night outfits out there.

It was so bad that it was actually quite good.

I suppose I'll answer this with a kind of serious response.
UFC and Pride I'm not going to even touch, because it's so complicated. They've done so much for MMA but have been embroiled in so much controversy, i'd rather not even bother.

Best: Strikeforce- Strikeforce was successful from day 1. They had a lot of interest, marketed themselves smartly, had compelling match-ups for the time, and eventually grew to the point where they had many name stars, and, arguably, a better HW division than the UFC. Now you could say this is true with the WEC as well, but I really think Strikeforce started to get to a point where, in a few years, they could have been competitive with the UFC. Not bad for a promotion that essentially started as a side project that seldom left San Jose.

Worst: EliteXC- Horribly mismanaged. Placed all of their promotional might around one star; Kimbo. When he was beat, the promotion faded. Pretty ironic considering they had a few extremely successful shows in terms of money and viewership.

Pride best, IFL worst. Affliction was on the path to #1 spot, but just 2 events isn't enough. Same with Rumble on the Rock, they had arguably the best tourney in mma history. Early King of the Cage was good with Don Wilson & Bravo as commentators and Ludwig and White being exciting champs. EliteXC had some good fighters, but also freak shows and shitty promoters. UFC's been clearly the best for a long time now.

And even though Pride had freak shows, it was usually a top fighter vs a can to keep them active, whereas EliteXC's version was to put 2 mid-tier fighters with a name as main events. Or boxer vs street fighter. Kinda like Bellator now, big reason why I usually skip it.

Last edited:
Best by far was Pride FC hands down, 10 min first rnd followed by two 5 min rounds, the absolute BEST mma judging criteria, best refereeing, yellow cards for stalling & purse deduction, knees to downed opponent, soccer kicks, stomps, flying stomps, no elbows, the white ring, the silent Japanese crowds while fighters fought, Bas Ruttens commentary, the storylines they created with the fighters in their video introductions before the fights, crazy announcer lady, and the fact that they made it about the fighters vs making it all about the organization! The Worst for me???? UFC - way to many things to list. Has great fighters but that doesn't seem to matter because they don't care. Title contenders half the time don't get the shot they deserve because company would rather make fights that sell even though it makes zero sense.

The worst promotion must be Venator... But with that we might actually get to see Sonnen vs. Wanderlei one day...

Worst: Northwoods Combat Challenge
I can't remember the full name of the promotion but it had an all day even with random no-gi grappling and pankration tournaments for random people that showed up. Then they held the actual event. It was a mix of pankration, MMA, and kickboxing. The promoter was on the mic screaming into it during the fights to keep people interested. They had a guy drop out right before his KB fight and pulled in some random kid from the crowd that had about 20 lbs on his opponent and no training. The kid was rocked repeatedly and couldn't evade a punch. He turned and staggered away 3 times with his hands at his sides after several hard shots. It was allowed to go on 2 rounds with the promoter screaming into the mic, "Don't quit" "Don't be a coward". The co-main event involved two amputees kick boxing and throwing kicking with their prosthetic legs. They would fall over whenever they tried to plant on the prosthetic so they just started hurling the fake legs at each other. Apparently screaming "Cripple fight!" in your best Cartman voice is not acceptable behavior to drunken rednecks in northern Wisconsin.

This shit show beat a KOTC event with Cecil Peoples as the sole referee. He allowed 2 arms to be broken because he never saw the taps and 4 guys to have their heads used for a tabada drill.

Best: Takedown at Tanners
It was a local promotion that used a lot of local fighters because made sure that the fighters were equal in skill and experience so the fights were actually entertaining regardless of skill level. The total production was clean and very nicely put together.

Elite XC had dancing whores as the fighters made their walkout. Was next level trashiness. Was spectacular.

Compared to the money they have, UFC is by far the weakest promotion of all time.

All the best fighters, 0 glamour and class..... 0.

What surprised me the most was UFC 200.

It was the fucking milestone event, their LAST ONE EVER under the Zuffa banner.

And how did they celebrate their last one ? BY DOING NOTHING AT ALL.

I expected a fucking parade, maybe a famous singer before the main card started... maybe a song by Taylor Swift...... ANY KIND OF SHOW. Even a bigger fucking display would have been nice. Confetti.... Why was there no fucking confetti.........

What we got was a scrapped main event and 2 of their most famous roided to the gills.

EliteXC is my worst. Had potential but fucked itself.

My answer for both is the same promotion: YAMMA
Look at this pit. How do the fighters even get into and out of such a chasm?

zsmvxg.jpg

I think Affliction was the worst. Trying to bankroll names and it fell flat on it's face. The reason it's so bad is because the potential was there unlike the small players.

Back