Do you draw life lessons from MMA?

The MMA Patriot

-
Banned
Reaction score
For example, watching Bisping finally become champion reinforced the idea that hard work, dedication, perseverance, and preparation will lead you to achieve your dream.

Seeing Conor talk a preposterous amount of shit and then get embarrassed reinforced the idea that humility and respect are important.

Seeing Ronda get KO'd is a lesson in staying level-headed and constantly looking inward.

What about you?

Last edited:
Yes. Always take a shit before a fight.

Thanks, Big Tim.

Sure, but they're enforced by life experiences and personal relationships.

So any example given can be questioned or interpreted differently.

Yeah, some of the stuff that goes down with underdogz & Bisping'z long road to the title are very inspiring.

Also their dedication to fitness & diet.

That's part of the sports allure, imo.

Many human features are on bare display.

That's part of the sports allure, imo.

Many human features are on bare display.

100% with you.

The characters, body types, techniques and tendencies create unique fighters and they put it all out there for show.

Not to go tooo hipster but the more you grasp of MMA, the more you can see the artistic and expressive side of it. You can find yourself in martial arts. It's easily understandable why fighters feel like they know each other much better after a fight.

Yes anytime my son or I need excuses for failures, we take notes from brazilian coaches and fighters.

I learn more life lessons from
Bjj, but I don't compete in mma so it's hard to compare.

Jon Jones has given me a lot of food for thought.

It's inspiring to see guys like GSP and Anderson come from nothing, persevere, and succeed.
The flipside is that for every one guy like that, there are hundreds who persevere just as much, but don't go anywhere.

Also inspiring to see Robbie go from great raw talent, to journeyman, to UFC champ.

Yes.

- "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity". I read that on a wall of a MMA Club in an UFC preview.
It's from Seneca, I didn't know it, it became my motto.

- Constancy/stability is as important as becoming the best.

- Advertising/ability to speak/charisma... is as important as your real results.

- Late victory in round 5 after being outclassed = never give up, you can do the work/win the thing, there's always a chance.

Talk shit get hit.

Cheat and you will eventually be caught.

Discipline, resolve, respect, etc. are all qualities that can be learned from MMA. But I think one will adopt these better from training than from watching. Still, important lessons can be derived from the sport as long as someone is rational and selective.

"Fighting doesn't build character,it reveals it"

Indirectly yes. How could anyone watch a fight like Lawler vs Rory, and not admire that level of determination.

Styles make fights

Guards change all the time

The belt is pretty much just a token, or in the words of BJs book an "Accesory"

<mma4>

Nobodies invincible. The most untouchable guy today will look human one day and beatable the next; or in the case of one individual, will defeat himself
<mma1>

Last edited:
Back