The scrap pack and low kick defense..

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Kinda strange how they dont do something big to fix this.

Yes avoiding a low kick from a beast like barboza is easier said than done. But still..

I was going to teach them to lift a leg for the stickiest of the icky. Unfortunately I demanded payment upfront and got too lazy to lift a leg.

Nick talked about why in a video once. Can't remember what vid. It was something about using a boxing stance

I'm not following. What's the issue? Too many low kicks?

I would say kick defense and the lack of utilization of kicks as well.

I would say kick defense and the lack of utilization of kicks as well.

You dont need kicking as long as you can defend against kicks.

Bj penn and rampage are good examples of that.

Nick talked about why in a video once. Can't remember what vid. It was something about using a boxing stance

" I ain't gonna come out of my stance and get knocked the fuck out. You never know I still might check a kick" Nick Diaz

You dont need kicking as long as you can defend against kicks.

Bj penn and rampage are good examples of that.

I'm not a fighter, but I tend to think being as well rounded as possible while still embracing your strengths would be the best route.

BJ and Rampage had a lot of success, but they were also beaten by more well rounded fighters, and I believe their strengths became less effective because everyone knew they mainly had to worry about their hands.

I'm not saying every boxing oriented MMA fighter needs to be great at kicking, but I think they at least need to get good enough at it to be somewhat threatening and give their opponent something else to worry about, thus enhancing their boxing.

I'm not a fighter, but I tend to think being as well rounded as possible while still embracing your strengths would be the best route.

BJ and Rampage had a lot of success, but they were also beaten by more well rounded fighters, and I believe their strengths became less effective because everyone knew they mainly had to worry about their hands.

I'm not saying every boxing oriented MMA fighter needs to be great at kicking, but I think they at least need to get good enough at it to be somewhat threatening and give their opponent something else to worry about, thus enhancing their boxing.
Forrest was able to murk out rampage with low kicks.

Gilbert showed
some fucking great boxing
When was laying in guard against a standing opponent he flattened his leg to avoid kicks.
I am half convinced he threw the body kick to guard pull into the armbar attempt

Didn't overcome the vicious leg kicks though. Props to barbosa for using great low kicks to win a fight.

Forrest was able to murk out rampage with low kicks.

Gilbert showed
some fucking great boxing
When was laying in guard against a standing opponent he flattened his leg to avoid kicks.
I am half convinced he threw the body kick to guard pull into the armbar attempt

Didn't overcome the vicious leg kicks though. Props to barbosa for using great low kicks to win a fight.
Stopped reading at Forrest "murking" rampage

For guys like Jake Shields every low kick is a takedown opportunity.

For southpaws like the Diaz bros. it's only a problem against southpaws.

But yes that whole camp has a glaring weakness they don't bother to fix.

They're better than they were 5 years ago when they thought that boxing and jiu-jitsu were the only 2 martial arts you need in MMA.

Nick n Nate have made improvements imo I thought Anderson and Conor were gonna piece up theeir front legs a lot more

UFCNateDiazConorMcGregor.gif

I am sorry I am drunk and just remembered the 30 seconds of the fight that forrest won. I even scored it for page. Now I am mad a tme.

Didn't Forrest have a 10-8 round?

I never understood why that decision was controversial.

Back