Holly Holm was supposed to be the best boxer in UFC. What do you make of this fight?

What do you think of this?

• Total voters

Recounter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Holly Holm was supposed to be the best boxer in UFC, if you look at her boxing career.(She was world boxing champ)

However, she was getting outboxed and counterpunched on her face throughout 5 rounds, and had no answer for it.

Valentina Shevchenko is a Muay Thai fighter.

There weren't even many takedown threats to prevent Holly from using her boxing skill to the full.

If Valentina had a decisive personality with KO power, Holly would've been finished before round 2.

What do you make of this situation?

Last edited:
She hasn't used much boxing at all since she's transitioned to mma. She's used her kicks much more than her hands, boxing is a much different sport and I wish ppl would understand that. If she came at Shevchenko with a boxing stance she would have gotten finished tn.

I don't know man... I'm disappointed at Holly, to be honest. Shevchenko isn't that much of a big deal, Holm was just less of that deal tonight.

I guess Holly really has Rousey's number and she's not all that after all.

She hasn't used much boxing at all since she's transitioned to mma. She's used her kicks much more than her hands, boxing is a much different sport and I wish ppl would understand that. If she came at Shevchenko with a boxing stance she would have gotten finished tn.
I agree that she just can't come in and be a straight up boxer, but I do find her lack of combos a little odd. Not just in this fight, but like you said she hasn't used boxing much at all. She is very hesitant about letting loose, and it's not doing her any favors.

Valentina was simply on point tonight. Holm did what she usually does, she is a good and technical kickboxer but also a bit predictable (especially with those sounds). Valentina punished her every time she tried to engage, that lead hook was fast and precise the entire fight. Holm faced a true counter striker in mma for the first time and got defeated, but she is still very good, she will climb her way again

I like Holly. She's a great fighter and also great for the female side of the sport. Would say I'm kinda a fan of hers.

However she got way too much cred for sticking a fist out everytime Ronda thought she was a bull.

What I don't understand is that she kept counterpunched and didn't change her strategy or even recognize what was going on.

It's hard to imagine considering she was world boxing champion.

I agree that she just can't come in and be a straight up boxer, but I do find her lack of combos a little odd. Not just in this fight, but like you said she hasn't used boxing much at all. She is very hesitant about letting loose, and it's not doing her any favors.
I agree, honestly besides her Ronda fight all her UFC fights have been underwhelming. People immediately forgot her other fights as soon as she tucked pillow face in though.

I don't believe that. She looked the best I've seen her. It's not like she has dropping testosterone.

Holly will be 35 in October, has had over fifty pro fights and has a lot of mileage. Not to mention, fighters with Holly's fight style (dependent on speed and stamina) tend to burn out quicker.

What I don't understand is that she kept counterpunched and didn't change her strategy or even recognize what was going on.

It's hard to imagine considering she was world boxing champion.
Yea, I found that odd especially after Jackson pointed out after round 1. I thought she looked extremely slow from round 3 on, maybe the leg kicks had a big affect on that, idk.

She has the best credentials definitely. However in terms of effectiveness in the ring, I believe even McGregor has her beat by a mile.

It's an MMA match, not a boxing match.

And while there were no takedowns to prevent Holm from using her boxing, Shevchenko's counter punching was definitely preventing Holm from letting loose like she normally would.

It's an MMA match, not a boxing match.

And while there were no takedowns to prevent Holm from using her boxing, Shevchenko's counter punching was definitely preventing Holm from letting loose like she normally would.

This was MMA match where boxing ability was the biggest factor.
Her boxing skills should have been directly transferred in this match.

Just because she lost this fight doesn't make her a bad boxer...

Valentina was a better fighter tonight. Holly is a great boxer. Watch her first 3 ufc fights. Look at her resume.

Back