Holly Holm is not a counterstriker.

tdavis925

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Posted in another thread about her matching up with Cyborg, but making another thread because this myth keeps getting repeated everywhere.

Holly Holm is not a counter-striker. She never has been, with the one notable exception of the Ronda fight. Holly is a high-volume outfighter that likes to lead, she has never looked good countering- watch the Pennington fight. She is terrible at sitting in the pocket, and she has very weak punches. She needs her opponents to run their own face into her punches to hurt them. She looked like a good counter-striker against Ronda because Ronda made it easy as fuck for her to do so. If you've actually watched her fight against opponents other than Ronda, most of the time Holly just throws pitter-patter punches into the air mixed in with the occasional kick chained off of a combo, which is the only way she can reliably do damage against a savvy opponent.

To reiterate: Holly Holm is not a counter-striker, and never has been. She is a point-based, outfighting volume striker who has to lead to outland a savvy opponent.

edit: Forgot to add, Holly has 35% striking accuracy, which puts her near the bottom of WBW. She relies on volume, not accuracy, because her distance management is rather poor.

Last edited:
If you post the same thing three times in the OP, it automatically becomes the truth.

Suredawg 101.

holly fights in a rhythm, valentina saw it and adjusted

holly couldnt because she sticks to whatever gameplan rhythm her team comes up with

I hater her weak ass oblique kicks, her weak ass punches, and her weak ass voice. JK about her voice, but she's super weak, and always has been. Someone tried to tell me she'd beat Nunes, because she's some type of super striker, when I told them she had a freaking draw with Pennington. Styles make fights, and she's Ronda's kryptonite.

If you post the same thing three times in the OP, it automatically becomes the truth.

Suredawg 101.

Are you going to dispute it or no? I repeated it multiple times to counteract the 100s of times people have been calling Holly a counter-striker on this site based off of one aberrant fight.

In boxing Holly was a "stick and clinch" fighter - in MMA she is not that happy to get into clinches so she is a "stick and run" striker. This can work well in both boxing and MMA but you have to blitz in and land some stuff. Valentina tagged her with right hooks and straights every time Holly got aggressive at all. One problem is that Holly may not be used to fighting against someone in a southpaw stance.

Holm does her best work when she is throwing 3-4 strikes at a time. She became tentative throw her combinations because early in the fight because Shevenko countered her whenever she threw more than 1 strike at a time. Towards the end, Holm was worried about the counter and wasn't nearly as busy as she normally is.

She didn't have answer for that counter right hook

Suredawg 101.

Can't argue this logic. But honestly I felt holm got beat by the better striker tonight, no shame in that. I hope she comes back, I admire hh.

Her fight with Rousey convinced people that she's a counter puncher, but she usually fights much differently. The brunt of her offense is shifting punch combinations on the lead chained into kicks, with some one off linear kicks to maintain distance. She's way too uncomfortable within her opponent's punching distance to work as a counterpuncher, and she isn't really good at it when her opponents aren't running face first into her punches like Ronda did.

Posted in another thread about her matching up with Cyborg, but making another thread because this myth keeps getting repeated everywhere.

Holly Holm is not a counter-striker.

Holly Holm is not a counter-striker. She never has been, with the one notable exception of the Ronda fight. Holly is a high-volume outfighter that likes to lead, she has never looked good countering- watch the Pennington fight. She is terrible at sitting in the pocket, and she has very weak punches. She needs her opponents to run their own face into her punches to hurt them. She looked like a good counter-striker against Ronda because Ronda made it easy as fuck for her to do so. If you've actually watched her fight against opponents other than Ronda, most of the time Holly just throws pitter-patter punches into the air mixed in with the occasional kick chained off of a combo, which is the only way she can reliably do damage against a savvy opponent.

To reiterate: Holly Holm is not a counter-striker, and never has been. She is a point-based, outfighting volume striker who has to lead to outland a savvy opponent.

edit: Forgot to add, Holly has 35% striking accuracy, which puts her near the bottom of WBW. She relies on volume, not accuracy, because her distance management is rather poor.
Absolutely spot on. Someone was cling her "shadows " in another thread cause she shadow boxes basically the whole fight. Just shows her mediocre rousey's striking (or lack of) is.

Gotta say you have a point, now that you put it that way. As I think back, besides the Ronda fight, I guess she's not really so much countering, as she is waiting for a random moment, then goes in with a rather predictable combo (1-2 + leg kick) which usually doesn't hit with full impact, as she doesn't commit to them. She's not really timing people in the way true counter strikers do.

The right hook was a big problem for her because she is not used to fighting southpaws and the right fist is three or four feet further away in the orthodox stance - you could almost here her saying "where the hell did that come from?"

LOL TS read some shit on bloodyelbow and is regurgitating it as his own. Holly definitely is a counter striker. When she has to lead out, she often misses tons of strikes. She can't judge distance when she fights like that. Watch her vs Marion Reneau to see it. Shevchenko got Holm to lead and played right in to her game. She out-countered the counter striker.

Here, I can regurgitate Wikipedia:

Holly Holm
Fighting style[edit]
Holm employs frequent lateral movement while working stiff jabs to an opponent's head.[56][57] When standing within the pocket, she often waits to attack with counter-strikes, usually employing a straight left hand..

I think Holly's camp just got out coached.

I really like Holly, but you are right in most if not all of what you said.

LOL TS read some shit on bloodyelbow and is regurgitating it as his own. Holly definitely is a counter striker. When she has to lead out, she often misses tons of strikes. She can't judge distance when she fights like that. Watch her vs Marion Reneau to see it. Shevchenko got Holm to lead and played right in to her game. She out-countered the counter striker.

Here, I can regurgitate Wikipedia:

Holly Holm
Fighting style[edit]
Holm employs frequent lateral movement while working stiff jabs to an opponent's head.[56][57] When standing within the pocket, she often waits to attack with counter-strikes, usually employing a straight left hand..

What exactly is stopping me from accusing you of simply regurgitating bullshit? I'll let the evidence speak for itself. People can go back and watch her fights and make up their own minds if they want.

Back