Barboza's Utter Disdain for Gilbert's Takedowns

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
That was sick. He made those takedowns look weak as fuck. That ground and pound was nasty too!

I bet a lot of wrestlers in the division are watching that fight with uneasiness.

Barboza is looking really good everywhere. Only problem I see for him going forward is possibly his chin.

He left his chin in the air a bit too much and paid for it a few times but he is excellent and still improving.

Yes Barbozas chin isn't the best but if he can work on that head movement he can be champ.

His TDD was almost Aldo-esque.

Give Barboza his title shot ufc.

Reminded me a little of Aldo shoving Edgar around a couple weeks ago. Dudes have legit tdd.

That was sick. He made those takedowns look weak as fuck. That ground and pound was nasty too!

I bet a lot of wrestlers in the division are watching that fight with uneasiness.
Gilbert's TD's aren't the best, but it's definitely an area Edson has improved in. His improvement is obvious every time he fights. Peaking at the right time.

Barboza is looking really good everywhere. Only problem I see for him going forward is possibly his chin.
I think Barboza could really be the first "Econoreem". I remember he used to just open up and unload on people. When he fought Cerrone he just unleashed every weapon in his arsenal and was basically 100% offensive from what I remember. After a few KOs he adapted and now is as concerned with defense and strategy as offense.

Only problem is his defense and boxing. Pressure fighters will always do something to him. His chin isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Yes Barbozas chin isn't the best but if he can work on that head movement he can be champ.

His TDD was almost Aldo-esque.

Give Barboza his title shot ufc.

But unfortunately his reaction to getting hit is Brock-esque.

Love watching him fight but I'm always anxious about his chin getting touched.

I think you have to remember how leg kicks play into TD's. There wasn't a chance he was springing off that left leg late in the fight.

Only problem is his defense and boxing. Pressure fighters will always do something to him. His chin isn't as bad as I thought it was.

His chin isn't glass, but he reacts badly to getting hit. Very similar to overeem actually.

I like that he and Aldo both stuff take downs but have started making a point to show that they are doing it and establishing authority with throwing them off or down... Probably scores points with the judges when you make the "Bitch, get off me" shove at the end.

His hands have gotten a lot better, too.

It did, but his boxing is still not good.

I think he won't be able to beat fighters who are actually going to pressure him and not let him kick them, like Johnson and Ferguson did, but he would beat someone like Khabib or the current champ.

Some are saying that you can't kick Khabib because he will put you on the ground, but he won't need kicks to beat Khabib. Barboza is a terrible fight for Khabib.

Gilbert is the perfect opponent for Edson honestly.
Very little power and pretty crappy takedowns.
Gil has always been more of a hustle fighter and age has set in.
I'd like to see Edson against one of the top 155ers before I can figure out if he's improved substantially.

I think he won't be able to beat fighters who are actually going to pressure him and not let him kick them, like Johnson and Ferguson did, but he would beat someone like Khabib or the current champ.

Some are saying that you can't kick Khabib because he will put you on the ground, but he won't need kicks to beat Khabib. Barboza is a terrible fight for Khabib.
Ferguson was gifted that fight due to poor officiating. I'm not saying Ferg wouldn't have won, but he was in fact losing and the ref absolutely failed Barboza.

His boxing, especially shown against Pettis, was pretty effective. Landed some big counter left hooks. The work he is putting in with Mark Henry is showing more and more, imo.

As for Khabib, definitely not a good match-up for him. His striking is very basic, and his defense is not good, so he would get eaten alove by Barboza, who I agree will stuff his takedowns without too much trouble.

Back