What is up with so many UFC champs probably not being the best in their divisions?

Mob69

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It struck me the other day that a lot of the current crop of UFC champions are probably not the best fighter in their divisions. I'm not hating, and I'm not denying that they currently hold the position of number one and sit on the throne. Good for them. But there's definitely a pattern...

[1] Miocic. Elite HW, but I don't think he's the best HW out there. I would favour Werdum or Cain, and maybe Overeem and JDS, to beat him.

[2] Cormier. We all know the story here. Jon Jones is a clown, a criminal and apparently a PED user. But DC is probably not the most lethal man at 205lbs, as much as I hate to type that.

[3] Bisping. I thought Silva beat him in February. I cheered like crazy when he got the career climax he deserved by winning the belt, but I would favour Rockhold, Weidman, Jacare, Romero, Silva, Hendo, Machida, and maybe Vitor or Mousasi in a fight.

[4] Lawler. Huge crowd-pleaser and WW lord of violence, but I scored the Condit fight for Carlos. He landed over 100 more significant strikes than Robbie and should probably have walked away with the belt.

[5] Alvarez. Another crowd-pleaser, but pretty clearly lost to Pettis earlier this year, whatever the ridiculous decision. I would favour RDA in a rematch, Khabib, Cerrone, Benson, Nate, Ferguson and probably Poirier too.

[6] Nunes. I would favour Rousey or Holm to defeat her.

Only Cruz, DJ, Joanna and perhaps Conor are clearly the best in their weight classes at the moment. There is also a strong case to be made that Conor/Aldo remains uncertain.

That's an incredible pattern. People attribute the declining relevance of UFC belts in 2016 to big money fights over meritocracy (Bisping vs Hendo being the best example of this trend). But there's also the fact that a LOT of current UFC champs have a LOT of question marks hanging over them. Just a few years ago, there was no doubt that fighters like Cain/JDS/Bones/Silva/GSP/BJ/Edgar/Aldo/Cruz/DJ/Rousey etc. deserved to hold the strap. Nowadays the picture is very different.

Stipe already exposed Werdums sloppy muay thai, Cain & JDS are the only ones who will beat him. It's all about match ups.

The cream is allowed to rise to the top now that USADA is in town. It's a new day in the UFC.

It struck me the other day that a lot of the current crop of UFC champions are probably not the best fighter in their divisions. I'm not hating, and I'm not denying that they currently hold the position of number one and sit on the throne. Good for them. But there's definitely a pattern...

[1] Miocic. Elite HW, but I don't think he's the best HW out there. I would favour Werdum or Cain, and maybe Overeem and JDS, to beat him.

[2] Cormier. We all know the story here. Jon Jones is a clown, a criminal and apparently a PED user. But DC is probably not the most lethal man at 205lbs, as much as I hate to type that.

[3] Bisping. I thought Silva beat him in February. I cheered like crazy when he got the career climax he deserved by winning the belt, but I would favour Rockhold, Weidman, Jacare, Romero, Silva, Hendo, Machida, and maybe Vitor or Mousasi in a fight.

[4] Lawler. Huge crowd-pleaser and WW lord of violence, but I scored the Condit fight for Carlos. He landed over 100 more significant strikes than Robbie and should probably have walked away with the belt.

[5] Alvarez. Another crowd-pleaser, but pretty clearly lost to Pettis earlier this year, whatever the ridiculous decision. I would favour RDA in a rematch, Khabib, Cerrone, Benson, Nate, Ferguson and probably Poirier too.

Only Cruz, DJ, Joanna and perhaps Conor are clearly the best in their weight classes at the moment. There is also a strong case to be made that Conor/Aldo remains uncertain.

That's an incredible pattern. People attribute the declining relevance of UFC belts in 2016 to big money fights over meritocracy (Bisping vs Hendo being the best example of this trend). But there's also the fact that a LOT of current UFC champs have a LOT of question marks hanging over them. Just a few years ago, there was no doubt that fighters like Cain/JDS/Bones/Silva/GSP/BJ/Edgar/Aldo/Cruz/DJ/Rousey etc. deserved to hold the strap. Nowadays the picture is very different.
Stop reading at you would favor Fabricio over Stipe and Pettis beat Eddie lol. How did the Pettis beat Eddie he got completely out wrestled lol ? Also you would favor Fabricio over Stipe ?
tumblr_o78bhmlLWB1qa33wlo8_r1_500.gif
tumblr_o78bhmlLWB1qa33wlo7_r1_500.gif

I think it just goes to show how volatile this new era of MMA will be. At some point we hit a period where most high level fighters can all compete the same, it's just a matter of who shows up on fight night and can implement their game plan.

I get what your saying but...

1. I do believe Miocic will prove himself number 1... remember that Cain has been out of action FOREVER, miocic nearly beat JDS and he took out a trolling Werdum...
2. Cormier is number 1 because no more Jones
3. Yeah, I'll give you that, but Bisping has always been elite
4. This is called "judges"... Also, no one has been clearly better than Lawler, I mean I scored Condit too, but the fight was hella competitive
5. Alvarez didn't clear lose to pettis, and he pretty much caught RDA with a couple great shots
6. Nunes would beat Rousey imo, but we'll see... Was Tate really the best either?

Cain
DC
Weidman or Jacare
Lawler
Alvarez
McG
Cruz
MM
Amanda
Joanna

That's who i fell is the best.

Not totally sure. But here's one: It's mma, where chaos reigns.

Being considered the best fighter by the fans is great but they need to prove it by beating the champ. As long as they are suspended for failing drug tests, injured, refusing to fight because of religious superstition or whatever reason they won't become champion.

I have no problem with Cormier and Lawler as champions. Jones is out and Condit missed a little bit of something to convince the judges.

The times where Aldo, GSP, Silva, Jones ruled their division is over now.

TS is right, cept about Werdum who I think is overrated

If Cain stays healthy I'd love to see him vs Stipe in December

If overeem wins I'd like to see him vs Rothwell Werdum winner.

You can't ever say the best man is champ at HW. There's always one punch and if you beat the man you're the man.

Also don't say Aldo Connor isn't decided. Until they have a longer fight we have all the proof we need. Connor KO'd him the p4p number one or 2 guy in 20 seconds. The same Aldo who just outclassed Edgar.

Lawler I agree with. I thought Johnny beat him the 2nd time (even though it was lame) and Carlos won the last fight. It's hard not see he'll eventually fall. But God he puts on wars.

Bisping 100% agree. But I'll root for him to take out Hendo before he has to deal with Yoel (who most think beats bisping)

Its a fight , and there are many variables that are inherent to it ... thats why anything can happen at any given moment.

I don't fully disagree but you list people who already lost to the current champ and people who rightfully lost their belt and make it sound as they should be champion.
I mean Honda? Yeah what's up with her not being champion but Nunes? I'd say a headkick was up.
Werdum? Simply lost the fight against the current champ.
Cain? Isn't the champ because he got choked out.

Mostly it's not that complicated.

It's called fighting.

Firstly, any fighter can win any fight. Serra beats GSP.

Second, the one weakness a champ may have. Could be the greatest strength of another. Styles make fights blah blah. Holly almost removes Ronda's head.

Third, way too many of these champs become hype buying machines and forget it's ALL about the fighting. If you're not on point every time you enter the octagon... You're begging to lose that belt. Too many examples to name. But a few recent ones. Werdum, Rockhold, and Miesha.

Personally I think the question doesn't even need to be asked. Isn't it obvious ?

Doesn't mean shit if they aren't the best in the division. They were better than the champ when they got their shot.

funny-gifs25.gif

Injuries, non instant rematches, being 'the best fighter on the night'

That is just your subjective thought, TS. It has always been this way. Many believe Aldo And Edgar is better than Conor, And TJ beats Cruz In a rematch.

I say the current champ is the undisputed no 1 In the world until he loses the belt.

Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.

There are guys working their ass off in the 20-10 positions that could beat the champ on a good day.

Being a UFC champion is about enduring the road and staying on it. It's more than being "the best fighter" today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back