Fighters who are more like athletes vs true fighters

Stillmyboy1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who are some examples of fighters who more fall under the catagory as athletes who take mma as a sport as opposed to mma fighters who are true fighters and go out there and leave it all on the line.

For example. I would say GSP, Tyron Woodley are more like athletes where as guys like Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit are true fighters.

osp. And also GSP is a fighter. He played it safe at the end. He has a fighters heart though.

Diaz Bros, Thiago Silva, and Wandy definatley fit that criteria

Andy Wang was a fighter, that dude was a warrior.

Fedor is King of the Fighters.

Mark Hunt = Athlete.

Brawk Lesnar = Fighter.

pgif-diaz-mcgregor.jpg
= athlete.

201603_1215_cbiag.jpg
= fighter.

89826d1208665887-gsp-vs-matt-serra-montreal-st-pierre4.jpg

Last edited:
GSP isnt the best example of either a fighter or athlete, hes like somewhere in the middle. Hes taken some beatings and battled back showing a ton of heart and at least in his prime showed a genuine enjoyment to get in there and fight not just compete. You have no idea how dark he can be sometimes ;)

Best examples of fighters = Lawler, Cain, Chuck, Vitor, Wand, Fedor, Penn, Diaz, Hunt, Zingano, Cyborg

Best examples of athletes = Woodley, Corey Anderson, Cruz, Bader, Sage, Wonderboy, Sara McMann, Holm

In betweens = GSP, DC, Jones, Aldo, MM

Keyboard warriors evaluating the 'heart' of pro fighters.
Now I've seen it all on sheepdog.

Athletes in other sports show a lot of heart too. WTF is this thread?

When I think of "fighter" I think skill, kickboxing, grappling, judo skill.

When I think "athlete" I think more along the lines of a brawler with good cardio but mediocre skills. Gets punched a lot because he sucks but is tough as nails and athletic.

Or is there a third category for "martial artists"? lol

This is really difficult to gauge, because it can present drastically different for a fighter from fight to fight. Anyone that has the balls to step into the cage to get potentially KO'd or choked unconscious has much more resolve than your average joe schmoe. Some fighters seem to have more grit than others, but fans are pretty clueless as to what adversity pro fighters face in the moment.

Keyboard warriors evaluating the 'heart' of pro fighters.
Now I've seen it all on sheepdog.

I get what you're saying, but this happens all of the time.

I get what you're saying, but this happens all of the time.
I mean usually it's about criticizing someone's skills or calling them out on steroid use or something.
Everyone can do that to an extent but questioning a fighter's motivations is different.

Some guys get by a lot on their natural abilities. Speed, reflexes, etc. Most recently, I think of Conor. The guy is a striker who has landed takedowns and reversed position on very, very good grapplers using pure strength and explosion. He has out-timed and out-struck very good strikers at a young age. He is obviously an extremely gifted athlete. Is he a fighter? Well, I'm not going to sit here in front of my keyboard and say he isn't. All I can do is compare him to guys who have been backed up to the brink of unconsciousness and have survived and come back to win fights by decisive stoppage.

Some guys win with technique, like Maia and Nate. Some guys win with athleticism (given that everyone in MMA has high-level skill in at least one field) like Brock, Romero, and Conor. Most guys win with a combination, like Jeremy Stephens, GSP, and Jones.

Few combine both and are also fighters at heart, and in those few we find greatness in technique, perseverance, and athleticism. Then we are entertained. Thank you Lawler, Fedor, Gus, Cormier, Cruz.

Back