122 "weight cutting" threads on Sherdog!

TheRedRightHand

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Make it 123. I can't keep my concentration that long to sift through them all so if the mods want to get rid of this I understand.

My thoughts are, like most issues discussed in these forums, you're either for something or against it. Since I'm just a white belt, most will probably just dismiss this but I'm posting it anyway.

Are you OK with weight cutting?
Do you think it should be stopped?
Should the rules be changed to make it safer?

I want to share my thoughts on this but I also wanted to get thoughts from other fans as well. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here.

In before, not another weight cutting thread!

I shall start.

There are many recent photos of fighters, men and woman, floating around the Internet who literally look like death at the weigh-ins. This made me wonder, are these fighters putting themselves in danger and should the ufc(or any organization) step in and start protecting it's fighters like they are obviously trying to do with USADA? Over the years, the MLB, NFL, NHL, etc....have been preaching safety for their participants. Technology has allowed for safer sports for the most part, and in a way has also made the athletes more dangerous to each other. With that said, is it in MMA's best interest to address this like they have with PED's? At what point does the safety of the fighters come in to play?

I know weight cutting has been going on for quite some time now but at what point does there need to be a line drawn? From a business perspective, if the fighters health is being affected by this, which in turn more than likely affects their performance as well as the product that they are trying to sell, doesn't it seem right that they should be coming up with some answers concerning this?

Anyway, would like to hear from more people about this.

monkey.png

It's inevitable that people will alwayz do anything they can to get the littlest opponent possible. Weight makes a huge difference. There are exceptionz... but not that many.

Some of recent memory are Hendricks, Sanchez, Tate and today I saw Holm and Herrig. They look not well.

I know weight cutting has been going on for quite some time now but at what point does there need to be a line drawn?

The UFC iz already active in this. They banned the IV... & they got the new monitoring of the athletes during fight week. Not sure how much further they can go unless they make a rule about how much body fat a person must have at weigh in... but that seemz a bit like going too far... because not everyone reacts the same.

The UFC iz already active in this. They banned the IV... & they got the new monitoring of the athletes during fight week. Not sure how much further they can go unless they make a rule about how much body fat a person must have at weigh in... but that seemz a bit like going too far... because not everyone reacts the same.
Agree, but does the iv ban hurt or help?

Well, there'z at least 2 thingz it doez... one of the thingz people IV for iz to wash roidz out of their system... so you pretty much gotta have an IV ban it if you want a clean sport... but we're talking about weight cutting here & I admit I don't know much about it, but I heard that some fighterz would drain some of their body fluidz before weight in... & then put them back after the weigh in.

I am just speculating about Hendrix... but I recall hiz first couple of weigh inz after the IV ban came into place & az washed out az he looked by trying to make weight made me feel like he probably used the fluid removal system for making weight in prior fights. Again, it's just something that I'm speculating about & nothing I know for sure... it's just something that occurred to me az a pretty good possibility.

What do think about this @dimspace

Last edited:
1 - im ok with it if the fighters are ok with it.
2 - there isnt really much you can do to completely eliminate it at this point.
3 - they did change the rules for the last 2 or 3 events.

@dimspace knowz a heck of a lot about USADA & might be able to chime in with some accurate info about the IV topic... & how people use them for roid cleaning &/or draining fluidz out of their system before a weigh in & then putting them back in after.

Dont think it makes any odds. Its perfectly possible to hydrate by drinking etc.. and the earlier weigh ins will have a big impact as far as rehydration goes.

Some of recent memory are Hendricks, Sanchez, Tate and today I saw Holm and Herrig. They look not well.

Go to remember, with the earlier weigh ins we will be seeing athletes who have not long woken up, havnt had breakfast yet, havent had anything to drink yet.

How good would you look having to weigh in having just got out of bed :D

Back